Part 1: Classification

Placed in front of B was a computer, which read the following:

Place a tick under which race you fall under. As B listened through the options, she silently crossed out each one in her head. Black (no), white (no), Asian (no) and so forth. She quickly went through each option till finally, she fell upon her race, BLANK. She clicked the keypad and pondered. BLANK.

BLANK was a new classification that had been created following the plague which rid people of their sight. This meant that anyone born well after the advent of sight had no definite affirmation of their race\ethnicity. Of course, there were those who chose to take their ancestors’ ethnicity. Since sight was relayed heavily upon to ascertain an individual’s race\ethnicity, it quickly became an old-world term.

"Hmmph" said B. BLANK. Why do humans always give a name for everything? It would have been simpler to say human, she thought to herself. Life did become simpler for some. People, who faced persecution in the old-world, quickly found that they could no longer be distinguished from their oppressors. Language and manner of speech became the new class of separation. This was quickly dropped, upon the realisation that people are adapt at changing their manner of speech.

The plague created a new world where diversity in appearance could no longer be appreciated and but exercised in speech, food and other outlets. The only problem was, it created a new group of orphans who could lay no claim to any. Hence the term BLANK was coined, for which B was named after.