Chapter 40

Zayn's POV:

Why do we fall in love so easily?

The day we met at the Zoo accidentally was basically fate. Her eyes were sparkling with confusion as she looked at me. Her face was of pure beauty, I had never met such a captivating and phenomenal person in this world.  Models could never compete with her, they have no chance.

And when she smiles, oh boy, it's like seeing a rare diamond. Her laugh is highly contagious, she can spread laughter from two miles away. When you're upset, just a single giggle from her can cheer you up. I loved everything about her.

Nevertheless, it only took me just one look to realise she stole my heart. She's absolutely precious and I tresure her with all my heart. It won't be easy letting her go.

But I have to.

She doesn't love me back, it was that simple. I thought she did. I thought she enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed hers, I thought we would be the happiest couple but most of all, I thought we were both in love with each other.

It was obvious that I thought wrong.

Fate doesn't exist. It was just a coincidence. God was just playing tricks in with our lives. But I was stupid enough to play along. I went back to her because I knew we could be something more than friends.

I had my heart broken once before, and it crushed me. I'm not going to let history repeat itself because now I know it won't. I've been rejected four times, that's a record, I thought bitterly. There is no way I can get her back now, not when she's madly head-over-heels in love with Brian.

I heard footsteps behind me and then Harry's bushy curls were in my face. "You okay, mate?" his voice full of concern and worry.

"Why wouldn't I be," a smile on my lips as we continued our walk to the car.

"Zayn, I'm here if you need me. I know you tried really hard... you don't deserve this mate," Harry embraced me into his signature bear hug.

"Hey," I smiled forcefully, "I'm fine. There's no reason to cry over it. What's done is done." However, I didn't want this to be over. This can't be over for the both of us. And yet it is.

Quinn's clacking heels made their way to Harry and I. "I have no idea what has gotten into her, she has never in my entire life acted like this before," she breathed hesitantly, "she was crying like crazy last night, I swear."

"It's okay, Quinn. I know you tried, you all tried. And I am so grateful for having such fantastic friends like you," I said, "let's have lunch at Nando's, on me."

I pulled them into a hug and now I know that friends were the only people in the world I needed right now. I'm going to call Niall and tell him what a special snowflake he is to me. He is like the apple to my pie, I can't bear a single day without him.

We started to walk towards the car but a voice behind us stopped us. "Excuse me? Excuse me!" the woman ran towards me, was she a fan? "Are you Zayn?" she asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

"The blonde girl in the coffee shop wanted me to give this to you," she handed me the piece of napkin.

I unfolded the crumpled paper and looked at it.

"What does it say?" Harry asked over my shoulder.

"Tell us, Malik!" Quinn demanded.

I stared at it. Memories flashing back into my mind.

This is my number if you want to talk. It's better this way. I hope you understand. I'm sorry.
Skye

"What," Quinn spat, "she apologised to you in a freaking note?!?! I'm gonna kill her."

"Calm down, baby," Harry soothed her.

When we went out for coffee, she wrote her number down on a napkin and gave it to me. The lads didn't know where I was and they all freaked out. When Niall found out I got her number he was over the moon, Louis tried to call her but I snatched it away before he could.

The memories of us spending time together came rushing back to me like a gust of wind. Why was she doing this? I was suffering from a heart break and she wants me to relive every moment of it.

"Zayn, mate, you okay?" Harry snapped me out of my trance.

"Yeah," I shook the thought away. "Let's go, I'm starving," I changed the subject and shoved the crumpled napkin into my pocket.

* * *

"Are you sure you're okay?" Quinn asked me one more time.

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine," I replied with my best voice.

"Okay then," she shrugged, "we won't take long, promise."

"Go! Have fun with Harry! Live life because it's all gonna be gone soon!" I laughed.

"Yes sir!" she giggled.

I watched them enter the lift. "Bye Zayn!" they both waved and I waved back. I shut the door to the motel and jumped on my bed. There was nothing to do. I was bored to my wits. So I decided this was the best time to check Twitter.

I pulled up the app on my phone and looked at my mentions. There was the usual "PLEASE FOLLOW ME? I LOVE YOU XOXO" and there was "EW YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN ONE DIRECTION."

But one mention caught my undevided attention; it was about Skye.

@sexy_stylesxx: OMG! Zayn's "friend" Skye has a boyfriend. Turns out she's been lying the whole time! OMG. @zaynmalik1D @Skye_ReyRey

How did she even know about this?

@ValerieMcB: @sexy_stylesxx don't u dare accuse my friend as a liar. She's trying to protect him. Can't u see that? Leave her alone.

@directioner_fo_lyf: hate to burst your bubble, @ValerieMcB  but @sexy_stylesxx has a point. She is right.

And Twitter shall be the death of me.