The Western Dream; part 2

I didn't sleep well that night, those nightmares of my parent's death kept reentering my mind.  Lee came into my room at the crack of dawn, but I was already up and dressed. He said I was a little confused and kept asking if this was really real. For breakfast we had toast and eggs, I ate slowly while Lee finished up his plate and started to get things ready for today's job. 

"Just finish up and then put your plate over there on the counter," Lee said," I'll be outside."

I watched Lee go out and I ate the last few bites. I did what I was told and then joined him outside.

"What needs to be done today?" I asked.

"Well ya see that little room over there down yonder at the barn," He said pointing.

"Yes."

"Okay go in there and stir up some chicken feed, now the coop is around the corner here by the house and when your done make sure it's latched tight. Dont want any critters getting in there at night," He told," Already lost five chickens the past few months ago, damn coyotes digging holes everywhere."

"Trust me Lee, I had chickens at my own house and have great experience."

"Good, now get started."

I wandered over to the small attached room on the barn and picked up a bucket that was sitting on the shelf. Underneath where sacks of grain and other foods. I poured some grain in the bucket first and then corn meal. Once that was all stirred, I went out to the coop. The chickens were flapping all around when I came in and flying over me. I sprinkled the food across the ground and they were content.  I didn't like the thought of this reminding me of home, but I finished the job so Lee wouldn't be disappointed in me. I had finished and put everything back in it's place, double checking the latch to the coop was tight. 

"Okay I'm all done," I told heading over to Lee.

"Great, now if you want you can help me fix the corral fence," He said," One of the cattles must of did it during the night." 

"I'll help, do you have all the supples?"

"Sure do, all over by the fence already."

We walked over to the corral, the cattle where up on the hill and somewhat decently out of our way.

"Now here hold this part," Lee said handing me the rail of the fence," Hold it straight and steady, I'm gonna start hammering the nails in."

It didn't take every long to fix, we busy at work and didn't hear the unexpected visitor arrive.

"Well, well what you got yourself doing there eh Lee?" The visitor laughed.

"What business is to ya?"

"Oh well I just was coming by to see if you fixed the fence yet," He smirked.

"How did you even know, do you have something to do with this Isaac?"

"And what if I did huh you ain't got no proof."

"Confess now or the Sheriff will be involved."

"Oh I'm sooooo scared Lee," Isaac spoke shivering," The Sheriff ain't gonna do nothing, cause there ain't proof, I'll just tell 'em your presious cattle did it."

"Stop it now."

"Me? stop? haha sorry Lee, but I ain't scared of you and I will get me some cattle." 

Lee came running over to Isaac," Get off my property or I'll have you arrested for trespassing!"

"This ain't over Lee, oh no it ain't," Isaac yelled turning around on his horse and galloped away.

"That bastard is gonna get it one of these days," Mumbled Lee walking back over to me.

"Whose Isaac?" I asked.

"That low life animal, who wants his own cattle, but doesn't have the money to do it," Lee groaned," So he's gotta steal to make a livin' and make people's lives miserable.

"Why does he want yours?"

"I got good cattle, if he ever comes up to you just ignore him, act like he ain't even there. He's gonna get no where in life and or just even spend the rest of it in jail."

"Should I go get the Sheriff?"

"No, no not yet. Does it again and he'll wish he was never born!"

Like any good town there has to be one person thats makes others suffer. Lee was still angry, but we finished the fence. Once all the chores were done, Lee and I took a break. He made the two of some sandwiches. I went inside and grabbed my journal. 

December 18 1868

Today, Lee said I was confused on where I was this morning. It did feel strange to wake up in a place that you're not familiar with. I miss my parents more than anything. Lee gave me some chores around the ranch to do. Started with the chickens, felt just like I was at home. Then he asked to help with a broken fence post, which in the middle of fixin' a man named Isaac showed up giving us a real hard time. Lee said he likes to steal from people and that if I encounter him to just ignore. Just by the looks of him showed trouble. Do I feel bad for him? Not so sure at the moment. We finished all the chores and went inside for a break. The snow here isn't that bad, not like it used to be at home. Oh how I miss my real home.

Till next time,

Joshua R.