Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

POSTED 1/15/20

Fireworks were set off and Telmarines flocked to the streets to watch as the newly crowned King and Queen of Narnia, as well as the Kings and Queens of Old, paraded through the city. Aside from the coronation, they were also celebrating the freedom of the Narnians, thus a number of Narnians joined in the parade as well.

It was a beautiful celebration to say the least. Mary was pleasantly surprised to see most of the Telmarines be genuinely happy for the Narnians and welcome them with open arms. The actions of their ancestors and what they did to Narnia truly did not reflect on the people in the present, which led Mary to recall what Aslan said about what defines a person: their choices. It was heartwarming that despite the differences between the Telmarines and Narnians, they seemed to be accepting of them for the most part.

Naturally, King Caspian was in the lead, dressed in white, gold, and emerald and his new golden crown set on his head. Mary was behind him in a simpler outfit — an emerald dress with long sleeves — compared to the grand one she wore in her coronation. The Pevensies followed after her. Peter was clad in a blue and grey ensemble, Susan in a maroon and gold dress, Edmund in a brown and tan tunic and pants, and finally, Lucy in a baby pink dress.

As they rode their horses down the streets, the Telmarines lined the roads decorated with flowers and flags, waving at the kings and queens. Those who didn't stand in the streets leaned out from their windows and doorsteps to catch a glimpse of them. Several children and teenagers happily led the way for the royals, Aslan, and the other Narnians. People also threw flowers and petals and waved little flags of their own. Mary couldn't fight the wide smile on their face throughout the whole parade, starting from the castle, down through the main streets, and then back to the castle once more. At night, they released an endless amount of fireworks to conclude the celebration. Mary didn't want the it to end, but it eventually had to.

The next day, Caspian called for all the Telmarines — lords, nobles, and commoners alike — to assemble outside the castle by a rather large tree in the middle of a pavilion. Now that the Narnians had the right to their own land once more, this was the moment Aslan had been talking about: he was going to give the Telmarines an opportunity to begin a new life elsewhere.

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," Caspian began once everyone had assembled. The Telmarines gathered in a circle before the tree while Caspian stood at the center, facing them. To Caspian's left were the bear, Doctor Cornelius, Trumpkin, Reepicheep, Trufflehunter, Glenstorm, and Aslan, while Mary and the Pevensies stood on the right. "Any Telmarines who wants to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," one man interjected.

"We're not referring to Telmar," Aslan explained. "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens."

Aslan turned to face them and so did the other Telmarines who were shocked by the news. To be frank, the Pevensies and Mary were shocked as well. They shared surprised looks, clearly not aware that the Telmarines had come from their own world, too.

"It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

"I will go."

Heads turned to find the source of the voice that spoke up: General Glozelle, who stood hidden in the middle of the crowd. His eyes expressed his guilt from his previous actions and willingness to start anew. Edmund visibly tensed, but Mary shot him a pointed look before he could make any comment about him.