CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"Ella!"

She swung around, looking over her shoulder between the mess of assorted trailers. "I have to go, Trix."

The girl she stood with nodded.
"Daniella!" Continued the faint calls of her aunt.

"I'll text you!" She called over her shoulder.

"You should really come tonight!"

Turning towards her friend, she smiled, shuffling backwards. "Yeah, I'll ask, but don't hold your breath!"

"Sneak out!"

She laughed and started to run towards the big white gooseneck four trailers over, skipping behind an open truck door, she got to the back of the red pickup. "I'm here, Abi."

"Where have you been?" Her aunt stepped from the inside of the trailer, locking the side door.

"Around." She shrugged.

"Uh-huh. Let's go."

Spinning on the ball of her foot, she skipped up to the passenger side, kicking off her cowboy boots.

"So, did you clean out?" She asked her aunt.

Turning the truck over, Abigail looked to her. "Not bad, first in the 2D."

"Oh yeah." Ella looked out the window. "Not bad."

"Not for that baby, no, she's doing well. Did you even watch the runs? Or were you watching something else?"

"Ha." She held her smile. "I was just hanging out with Trixie and some people."

"How's she doing?"

"She's good." Ella shrugged, picking at the hole in her jeans. "They're having a bon-fire at the river later."

Abigail nodded.

"I was thinking of going," Ella added.

Her aunt gave her a look. "I'm not getting you into that one."

"Oh, come on!" Ella begged, "I'm eighteen."

"Not till the end of the year you're not."

"I'm graduating next week! They're all going to have fun. It's not fair." She dropped her head back to the rest.

Abigail smiled. "Ella, you know-"

"I know." She grumbled.

"I'll ask him," Abigail said in a soft voice.

"Are you serious!" Ella beamed.

"But.." Abigail started, "Only if you promise to behave."

"Pft. I always behave."

Abigail lifted an eyebrow. "No, you do not. Which is why you're in this pickle with Colten."

"Go have fun once and you're whole life is ruined," She exasperated.

"Ella."

"Fine but he can't tell me what to do for the rest of my life."

"He'll try."

"Argh." She huffed.

"Did you hear from that college yet?"

Ella paused. "Uh, no, not yet."

"Well, that's weird." Abigail pondered. "We should call."

"Nah." Ella brushed off, looking out the window and hoping to avoid the subject further.