Chapter 14: The imaginary girlfriend

Crap Rajveer thought when he awoke the next morning and remembered the previous day. There was no way Mahi hadn't noticed his odd behaviour. Groaning, he swung his legs off the side of the bed and sat upright. His head throbbed slightly but other than that, he was feeling much better. Unfortunately, he still had to figure out what he was going to do about Mahi. Rajveer had two options at this point - pretend it never happened, or roll with it. Or, I could wing it.

And wing it he did. After checking to make sure she wasn't already up, Rajveer decided to return Mahi's favour of taking care of him (and possibly apologize for his earlier behaviour) by making her breakfast. When Mahi walked in, he looked up and gestured to the french toast, pancakes, juice and fresh fruits laid out on the table, "For you."

Mahi raised an eyebrow, "Looks like someone is feeling better!" Rajveer simply nodded before taking a seat to eat. Mahi joined him and they both began eating. "Jo kuch bhi maine kiya, voh ek friend hone ki zimmedari puri karne ke liye kiya." Mahi used his earlier words to crush any hope that was building up at the thought of him making breakfast for her. Then, Mahi spoke suddenly, "Haan sach, before I forget, kal main Zoya se mili thi. Usne hum dono ko apni shaadi pe invite kiya."

"What?" Rajveer asked in the same incredulous tone she herself had used when she had heard the news. He gave a short laugh before saying, "Uska dimaag toh nahi kharab ho gaya?"

"I know, that's what I thought. Anyway, main usko keh doongi ki hum nahi aa rahe. Tumhari tabeeyat kaisi hai abh?"

"Pehle se teek lekin mere sir mein abhi bhi dard hai. Koi baat nahi, main Advil le loonga."

Mahi simply nodded. Their conversation dwindled out and was eventually replaced with the news broadcast when Rajveer turned on the T.V.

After breakfast, Mahi tried to help clean up but Rajveer wouldn't let her do anything so she finally relented and got ready for work. When she emerged from her room again, Rajveer had his jacket on.

"It's okay, main aap ja sakti hoon. Tum aram karo."

Rajveer rolled his eyes, "God, Mahi. Hum is conversation ko kitni baar repeat karenge? Let's go!"

Secretly pleased, Mahi followed Rajveer out the door. The ride to work was silent but pleasant. Mahi hadn't forgotten about his idiotic attitude on the boat but she was willing to give him a pass at the moment. Besides, she couldn't very well bring it up after he made her breakfast and drove her to work despite being sick - she wasn't that heartless.

It wasn't until she said goodbye to Rajveer and entered the building that she remembered her promise to Mira. Damn she thought. She was still curious as to what it might be but she didn't really want to spend her personal time chatting with her boss's wife.

The remainder of the day passed by sluggishly. Mahi finished her work early but unlike the day before, was simply assigned more instead of being let go early. Around four o'clock, she finally got a text from Mira detailing the time and place to meet.

Arriving at the specified coffeeshop, Mahi was waved over by Mira, who was already seated at a table.

"Mahi! Good to see you. Rajveer ki tabeeyat kaisi hai abh?" Mira asked.

"Pehle se better hai. Aap kaisi hain?" Mahi asked with the same fake sweetness she had applied the day before.

"Main bhi teek hoon. Okay, let me get to the point. Shayaad tumhein pehle si hi pata hai, lekin main check karna chahati thi. Kya tumhe pata hai ki Rajveer ki ek girlfriend hai?"