Chapter Twenty-Two: The Shadow-Born

Lysandra's Point of View

Her mother was raging. They had blocked the oceans completely, and now the armada was rendered useless and immmobile. One point had been lost to the God-Born and Lysandra had begun to worry that they would lose this war. And given she was a Crimson,that would be unimaginably bad.

She had barricaded herself in her room but jumped as Empress Medea of Kallias threw a chair at the corridor.

When her mother raged, her mother truly raged. Later she would find the words her mother had scratched onto the walls with her fingernails:

   SELENE CHARLIZE

Selene was the one responsible for this whole mess. Lysandra was slightly annoyed to have the elf's name etched onto her door, but oh well. Complaining to her mother would not go over well, and she had no intention of having Lysandra etched onto some other wall in the palace.

It was a good thing she was away during her mother's rage, Lysandra thought to herself. Her meeting with Lucifer was well-time. A cloak and hood were an unfortunate necessity of the meeting; her face was well-known, like Aaron's, Markus' and the Empress'.

She slipped into the story of who she was meant to be as easily as she slipped the black hood on her head. She hide the smallest DarkMirror-really just a sliver of glass-in her pocket in case this got messy. A dagger was gleaming in a sheath and her magic was ready to be called. Check, check, check. She would have been fine with only one of them, really, but she liked to show off.

It was kind of her motto.

Lucifer waited for her in the café and it seemed so strange to meet him there that she almost laughed. They spoke quietly, but everyone here seemed engaged enough in their conversations not to care.

"I suppose I should thank you," Lucifer said slowly. "For saving my life. I suppose you know who I am,"

"Yes," Lysandra smiled. "You're in the rebellion, from Cobalt. You've been part of this for five years now, a messenger between the spies." He nodded.

"You have spies of your own, no doubt?"

"I have my methods of getting information," Lysandra admitted. "I am here to help you."

"Why?" Lucifer asked. "You're a noble. That's the only way you could have saved me. Could have known everything that you did."

"And because I am a noble I cannot see right and wrong?" She asked. "Because my father aided the Empress to power I cannot bring her down?"

"There is no advantage to you," Lucifer answered honestly.

"That is what I thought," she lied. And still think. "Then the Empress killed my father because he became a nuisance."  Probably true. "I am here for revenge. I can help you in ways that your various spies cannot."

Yes, all very true. She was there for revenge against her brothers for being sun-blasted idiots, and yes, she could help, if she choose to. How wonderful. She had qualified for the rebellion without even having to lie.

Lucifer smiled at her, seemingly truly happy.

"I am sorry about your father." He said sadly. "But I am glad that you have found your way to us."  Lysandra smiled back at him, glad that this had gone so well.

"There's a deposit in your account at the nearest bank," she told him quickly. "Go there. I know the rebellion is low on funds."

"We couldn't-" he began, but she cut him off.