C-5: Piece at Last

"Hey there, Luigi," said Fred as he walked into the lounge.

"Hey, Fred."

"As the Professor said, we have both clock hands now. All there's left to find is the rotor."

Luigi set down his plate of food.

"I've sent texts to Chad, Brad, Thad and Conrad," he said, "and still, there are no further developments regarding my bro."

"Have you tried Peach?" suggested Fred.

"Yeah, I sent her a few texts, but she's busy. If she isn't trying to run a kingdom, then she's on the lookout for that turtle."

"Tell me about it," murmured Fred.

"My big brother remains in parts unknown, and I'm about to go crazy with worry—so I do not need to put up with the Professor's b.s. right now."

"About that—he totally agrees with you that Polterpup is cute, but the thing is, regular dogs cause less trouble," said Fred.

"I've always wanted to have a dog," said Luigi. "More specifically, a puppy." He cleared his throat. "Do you guys have some clue where the rotor is located?"

"Not yet, but the Parascope detected plentiful ghostly activity on the east side of the Old Clockworks," said Fred. "Come on—the Professor will tell you about it."

Luigi stood and followed Fred out of the lounge.

"Are you ready to look for the rotor, Luigi?" asked Gadd.

"Do I have to answer?"

"Well, then—Fred and I suspect that the ghosts are keeping it hidden on the east side of the Old Clockworks—which explains the paranormal activity."

"The ghosts practically have that area on lockdown," added Fred. "Luckily, we have a few tricks up our sleeves."

"There's another Pixelator camera in the area in question," said Gadd, "so all I had to do was hack it and adjust the destination!"

"Cool," said Luigi.

"Who knows? Maybe you'll even catch the ghosts off guard!" Fred said cheerily.

"I'd like that," murmured Luigi.

Gadd lowered the fourth monitor. "Here's a picture of the rotor," he said. "Keep an eye out for it."

"Will do," said Luigi.

"Ready, youngster? Give 'em what for!"

"Count on it," said Luigi.

"Oh, and try not to get distracted by thoughts of that ghost puppy," said Gadd, rolling his eyes.

"Yes, Mom," Luigi told him.

"Guys," Fred said in a warning tone.

"See you when you get back," Gadd said briskly before activating the Pixelator.

...

When Luigi arrived at the east side of the Old Clockworks, the first thing he saw was a Sneaker, holding the rotor. This Sneaker had strange white markings all over their body, giving them a cracked appearance.

"Hey!" cried Luigi.

The Sneaker glowered at him for a few seconds before flying off.