Bright Dreams and Dark Nightmares

Stars glimmered all across the dark blue sky, and the soft hum of late night traffic drifted into my ears. I could hear the muted laughter of the members of BigBang through the sliding glass door and smiled. But something seemed to faintly tickle my brain. I shivered as an all too familiar wind licked my skin and ruffled my hair. Memories flowed in, and I gripped the cold, metal railing as I closed my eyes shut, knowing what was coming.

"Seunghyun, are you-" I turned around to face him.

"If fine," he told me, giving me a warm smile to prove it. "In fact, I had a feeling you'd come here to check on me."

"What makes you say that?" I asked, trying to conceal my shaky voice. Why was I so nervous? It was just a kiss.

"You of all people should know that you care about everyone you meet. You're too kind," he said, taking a couple steps closer to me.

"W-what do you mean?" I took a couple steps backwards even though I knew there was no escape.

"I mean, you shouldn't always be the one to take care of people. You can't always be so independent. What you need is someone who can take care of you." A smirk was drawn upon his lips with one eyebrow raised, making me shudder.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." He continued to advance on me, and I stepped back, keeping my distance. Soon, my back touched the railing and I grasped onto them tightly. He got closer and closer to me slowly, almost like he was teasing me. Wrapping his arms around my waist, he breathed in the scent of my hair. I touched his arm, trying to shake him off but to no avail.

"Seunghyun, I-"

Here it was. I didn't have to look to know that his face was speeding towards mine at an alarming rate. I squeezed my eyes shut.

But nothing came. Slowly, I lifted an eyelid to peek at him. Except there was no him. Instead, I found myself standing in an empty park that stretched for miles in every direction. The bright, blue sky and the mild heat gave me the impression that the time was somewhere in the middle of Autumn. I stumbled forward and spun around to face a beautiful, thick trunk of a towering tree. Orange, red, and yellow leaves covered the ground like a blanket and the sun shone down, giving everything a faint glow.

I walked down an smooth, paved aisle of newly painted park benches towards a small, arched bridge. As I neared it, the faint sound of a trickling stream entered my ears. I ran my fingers along the wooden railing and headed up to the peak of the bridge before leaning over the edge. The playful tune of the songbirds and the occasional slap of water against wood set my mind at peace.

I rested my head in my hands as I watched the water flow ahead into the distance. Leaves drifted off the branches of the trees and landed in the current, sending small ripples everywhere from the impact. They, too, floated away with the current to who knows where. Lead after leaf after leaf.

Ahead, where the river disappeared into nothing, I could make out the lines of a city. Giant skyscrapers lined the midday sky and the sun's rays seeped through the spaces between the buildings and reflected off the glass architecture. Unlike most cities I had visited, this one didn't have a single trace of smog in the sky. Everywhere I looked, every single thing looked new and perfect. The wood didn't have a single scratch and the shimmering water flowed undisturbed by small stepping stones.

It felt like hours before I felt the peace leave me and emptiness and boredom take over my conscience. I couldn't afford to spend all my time here. After all, I had work to get done back at the studio.

My stiff muscles loosened as I pushed myself away from the railing and headed back towards the big tree. As I approached it, a thought of home entered my mind.

Where was home?

I had been so wrapped up in my surroundings that I had completely forgotten where I was or how I had gotten here. Earlier, I had been trapped by Seunghyun's embrace, but as if by magic, I was sent here. Unlike the balcony, I hadn't been here before. I wasn't even sure if I was in Seoul anymore.

I placed my hand on the tree and stroked its smooth, dark brown bark. It warned my palms with its life, and I closed my eyes, feeling the hum of the earth. I had come from the balcony to this very tree.

Maybe, I supposed, I could go back this way too.

I waited a little while to see if anything would happen. But, of course, nothing did. There was no telling how I'd gotten here or how I'd get back. The best thing to do now was wait. Sighing, I turned my back to the tree and rested against it, with nothing but the sweet sounds and smells around me to please my senses.

As if something had hit a switch, everything stopped. The birds no longer sang and the water seemed to have froze. The air carried nothing but a deafening silence. I snapped my eyes open to look around. Biting my lip, I stifled any noise of shock and tensed my spine as the bark behind me began to shift. I spun around to see the once magnificent tree shrivel at an alarming rate, its bark wrinkling and the branches drooping dramatically. Hundreds of leaves fell like a shower from overhead and the rich, brown bark began to morph into a charcoal gray.

All around me, everything began to change. I dashed over to the bridge but jumped back as soon as the wood collapsed into a thick, black slime. Stormy, gray clouds covered most of the sky, but some distinct red blotches shone through. The paint on the park benches peeled away in little curls like invisible creatures were stripping them of their color. The gears in my legs kicked in, and I took off like a bolt of lightning as I shook off the paralyzing shock.

Every step matched the best of my pounding heart. An ear-splitting screech rang in my ears, like the sound of a sheet of metal being ripped in half. Behind me, a large, silvery machine burst from the ground, sending dirt and grass flying everywhere. It looked like it was assembled from random garbage. Car scraps, chainsaws, twisted screwdrivers, and other things protruded from its center, which looked like a large sphere. It rolled after me, picking up anything in its path. The monstrosity mowed over trees like it was nothing, and I knew it wasn't going to be halted by much.

Soon, it had gained a considerably large distance on me, and my legs began to scream in pain. But it was either slow down and let it take me or keep running. No matter how clear the answer was, I just didn't have enough fight within me. My body started to shit down as I slowed to a fast jog. The thing got even closer, and the sounds became increasingly loud, like it was shrieking at me. Soon, it was only a few feet away when I thrust my feet into the ground in an attempt to stop. My moment continued, causing me to fly head over heels. I was only given a few seconds to roll over to face my doom.

________________________
Hey guys! I'm back! I'm so so sorry it's been so long since I've updated, but I've been extremely busy. 'Tis the season to...apply for high schools. Yeah it's that time of year for me when I've got to choose what high schools I want to apply for. But hopefully, I'll get done with that soon, so I can get more time to write. Also, thank you so much for your support! I've finally hit 1k reads, and I'm so excited to expand this story! Thanks guys and until then, buh-bye!