Chapter Twenty-One

The next morning, I decided that I needed to talk to Darcy. After showering and eating a meagre breakfast of soggy cereal, I pulled out my cell phone.

"'Ello?" She answered sleepily.

"I want to talk to you. How about we meet at the cabin?"

"Ugh, I don't want to drive. Come pick me up?"

"Eh, why not?"

I grabbed my keys out of the basket in the kitchen. My mother looked at me in confusion.

"Where are you going so early?"

"I'm going to hang out with Darcy," I admitted.

She sighed and shook her head. "Why?"

"I'm kind of swamped with thoughts right now. Darcy sits there and listens to me. She occasionally throws out decent advice."

"I can do that, too, Carter. You're at the age where you're no longer just a child. I'd love to be someone you can confide in."

"You already are, Mom."

"I feel like your friends know so much about you and I barely know you at all!"

I sat down at the table across from her and set my keys down. Darcy could wait. My mother was one of the most important people in my life, and she deserved to know how thankful I was for her.

"What do you want to know?"

"Oh, Carter, don't be so silly. You just go and have fun -"

"What do you want to know?" I repeated with a smile.

She sighed and reached over to shut off the TV. The silence was eerie. I reached for the remote and turned it back on, turning the volume down so that it was only background noise.

"Why do you seem so unenthusiastic about football this year?"

"Mom, I've never really been a big fan of football. I only play because I love the guys and you're always so proud of me."

"I had a feeling you were doing it just to appease me," she said with a glum smile.

"Don't feel guilty, Mom. It's been a good thing for me. I met a lot of good people and it's taught me discipline."

"It has, I won't deny that. But why put yourself through the hellish practices if you hate it?"

"I don't hate it, Mom, I just don't have a fanatic interest in it like the rest of the town does."

"It's not fanatic," she insisted.

I coughed and shook my head. She began to grow red and I knew that I'd hit a sore spot. I shrugged off the guilt.

"Why are you so hesitant to talk about me about college? Edward was doing all the talking for you yesterday."

"Well, uhm... Mom, I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up."

"That's understandable, but you still have to go to college."

"Someone once told me that it's not where you start, it's where you finish."

"What are you trying to say?" She asked, confused.

"I'm thinking about staying with you guys and just going up to the two year college in Union City."

She began to laugh. I felt so hurt by her reaction that I felt tears stinging at the back of my eyes. She said she'd wanted to get to know me and then she laughed in my face when I was honest with her!

"Carter, did you honestly think I'd care? That's a better idea than just staying home and waiting until reality hits you upside the head."

"You don't care?" I questioned, some of the hurt fading.