The First Jumper 29: Cave Man

Little Bear bounced on his back on the slope and hit his head, tumbling twice more over until he came to rest at the bottom.  He shook his head, and looked blurrily over in time to see Willow, along with Ox, the son of Dire Wolf, each drive spears into the bear, which was trying to bite the spear sticking out of its chest.  Its rear paws didn't seem to be working.  Ringtail was holding a burning branch in front of the bear, but it didn’t seem to be having an effect, as the bear just tried to bite Little Bear’s spear.

In the next few seconds, the bear had ten more spears in it, and it was soon dead.  Blueberry even got a spear into the bear, once it was only twitching.

Tiger was unharmed, and Cave Lion had gotten a few bruises, but was otherwise fine.  Dire Wolf and Cave Bear had gotten severe knocks and some scratches, but would be okay if they didn't have infections.

Little Bear had a bad bump on the back of his head, a cut on his forehead from the creature’s teeth, and eight cuts in his chest from the paws, as it bowled him over.  He did not have any broken bones, he thought, as he got woozily to his feet.  After a moment, he was standing fairly steadily.

Once they were sure everyone was okay, Cave Bear prodded the dead bear with his toe.  "I wonder if this was the mate to the one from day before yesterday," he said.

"Mate?" said Little Bear, and stepped in to look at it up close.  Surely a bear that size would have to be a male, wouldn't it?

“It looks really big,” said Blueberry on his right, and Little Bear thought she sounded a little breathless.  Then he looked back at the bear.  It did look big.

"Just a little female," said Dire Wolf, laughing at Little Bear's expression.  "Thought it was a big one, did you?  They always look bigger when they are coming at you.  Just wait until you face down a mammoth."

As Tiger walked up to it, Cave Bear leaned over, and touched one of the spears protruding from the dead bear.  “That is your spear, isn’t it, Little Bear?”

“Yes,” said Little Bear.  He was feeling a little wobbly on his feet.  His chest hurt.  He looked down.  The claw marks weren’t bleeding badly, but they were bleeding.  There was nothing he could do about it, at the moment.

“Killing thrust,” said Dire Wolf.  “And a very brave one, at that.”

Tiger was looking down at the bear, his jaw set.

“I agree,” said Cave Lion.  “Little Bear stood his ground.”

Cave Bear nodded, and clapped once.  All activity stopped, as everyone turned to hear what their Chief had to pronounce.

“Little Bear’s kill,” he said.  “He has been blooded, and is brave.  The skin is his,” he said.

Little Bear looked at the pathetic heap of fur in front of him.  He didn’t feel brave.  All the spears were pulled out, and Apple began to skin it.  Holly was preparing to cut it up.  It was larger than three grown men, yet it was less than half the size of the behemoth they had fought, over by the canyon.  It had bitten through its tongue as it died.

It was sad, he thought, that something so vital would have to be struck down, but his tribe needed a home.

He looked up to see Tiger’s burning eyes upon him.

As he wondered what Tiger was so angry about, Little Bear felt Willow take his right arm, holding it tight.  He looked over at her, and was startled to see Blueberry.  She was standing as close to him as she could, hugging his arm to her chest.