3

Dom --->

By ten o'clock the next morning, Dom had been filled in on everything Rex knew, which wasn't a lot, and they had spent about an hour reading the papers and scowling at each other over the headlines.

Rex was trying not to feel jealous of the look of contentment on Dom's face.

He couldn't help wishing he had someone other than Aeacus to go home to.

"So, so far, our guy's a drug dealer looking for cash for a fix, a pimp looking for a lost whore and our John Doe was a suicidal glory seeker."

Rex threw his paper down in disgust.

"He was fucking murdered." He growled.

The papers had printed photographs of the body being wheeled out inside a black bag on a gurney to the coroner's van.

"He wasn't pimping anyone, or dealing, or anything!"

"I know," Dom said soothingly. "Just ignore them. Let them work themselves in circles while we find out what really happened."

Rex sighed and shook his head to clear it.

"Will confirmed this morning that time of death was between eleven thirty and twelve last night. He's doing to autopsy after lunch."

Dom nodded, flinging down his own papers and rubbing his eyes.

"Long night?" Rex asked, going for scathing, but instead just sounding wistful.

Dom yawned and nodded.

"Aidy did something with oysters," he said innocently. "I can't help it if we went slightly..."

"Overboard," Rex said dryly.

Dom grinned, seeming pleased with himself.

So, five years down the line, you've still got the spark?"

"You'll have the spark someday," Dom said. "When you find the right person, you'll get a very big spark."

Rex shrugged and looked away.

"What're we doing next, then?" He asked, glancing at the whiteboard on the wall. "Autopsy?"

Dom nodded.

"Will should have sent blood samples off to the lab by now. We'll see what John Doe was drugged with."

Dom's desk phone rang loudly and shrilly, making them both wince.

"I've told Cole to change the ring tone on these," Dom growled, before picking up the phone.

"Marafioti, CID."

Rex strained to listen when Dom bent over and started scribbling notes.

"Thank you for your call, Miss. We'll be there in twenty minutes." Dom hung up and grabbed his jacket.

"Where're we going?" Barnett asked, mimicking Dom's actions.

"Someone thinks she recognises the house from the photo in the paper. Says John Doe could be her long-term boyfriend, Alan Patterson."

"That's who the house belongs to," Rex said, unlocking his car.

They clambered in, and drove across towards the golf course, cruising slowly along the streets until they found the right address.

"Miss West?" Dom asked kindly when a young blonde-haired woman opened the front door.

It was obvious she'd been crying; her eyes were puffy and red.