Chapter One: Part 1 out of 5

“Taken Away”

By: Ali EIsenbrey

Chapter One

Alex’s POV:

I remember the day like it was yesterday. Me, my mom, my dad, and my sister were sleeping. We’ll, I was the only one awake. The fire alarm went off. I ran out of my room and I saw the hallway in flames. My parents room was surrounded by flames. I screamed their names. They ran out of their room, straight into the fire. I was screaming, and so were they. Eventually, their screams stopped. I slowly fell to the floor crying. My sister ran out of her room screaming,”What’s happening!” I grabbed her arm and my phone and ran outside. I called 911 and explained everything.  My sister said slowly and quietly,”Where are mom and dad?” I shook my head and slowly started to cry. She fell to the floor crying, and then the rest was just a blur.

I don’t even remember how I got to this orphanage, or who got me here. All I know is that is the incident happened when I was 7, and it’s been 7 years since. Barley anyone comes here to adopt children, and since I’ve been here, only 2 children have been adopted. My sister was 9 when this happened. She seems to be going crazy. She barely ever talks, and she always has a blank stare on her face. But sometimes, she mumbles strange things to herself.

Today, a woman who looks like shes about 40 walked into the orphanage. For some reason, she has a lot of gray hairs and wrinkles. She has scolding eyes, and very long fingers. The runner of our orphanage, Stacy, welcomed her in. Stacy introduced the woman, her name was Mary, and she wants to adopt 1 child. Thank God she’s not looking for two, because me and my sister would have a chance of going with her, which I wouldn’t want to happen. Stacy told us to sit on the rug, but I sat on the chair. I realized my sister, Ashley, wasn’t on the rug. I ran back to the kitchen to grab her. She was sitting on the dining chair, staring off into space. I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the living room and sat her in a chair. Stacy mouthed,”Thank You.” Mary started looking at us. She didn’t seem very pleased with us. She slowly lifted up her finger and pointed to me. I gasped. “M-me?” “Yes you!” she said scornfully. I gained confidence and said,’’ Well, sorry, you can’t. I have a sister and I won’t be separated from her. And since you're only looking for one child, you can’t take me.” Mary stood there. She had a grin on her face. Slowly she said,”Fine then, I’ll take you both.” I continuously shook my head. I screamed,”NO! I dont want to go with you! And I know Ashley doesn’t want to either!” Mary had a strange look on her face and said,”Ashley? Who’s Ashley?” “My sister dumbass!’’ I said loudly. Stacy gasped and said,” Watch your language young lady! Now go upstairs and pack you and your sisters bag. Now.”