Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and better yet, it was one of the few days the Winchesters had "off". They had just come back from a week long hunt, a vamp nest in Michigan, and they were currently crashing at a motel just off the highway. It was one of the nicer motels the boys had stayed at, nice showers, no mysterious stains on the bed sheets, and best yet, it had a pool. When Dean had checked them in, the lady at the desk gave them the usual talk.

"No running in the halls, no loud noise past ten, and our pool closes at nine." She had said in a monotone voice. At the mention of a pool, Dean's face lit up in a way that Sam hadn't seen in a long time. As soon as they had gotten to their room, Dean riffled through his duffle bag, grabbed his swim suit, threw Sam's at him, and dashed into the bathroom to change. Sam sighed and quickly changed. When Dean got out, he grabbed two towels and, beckoning Sam to follow him, turned in the direction of a pool. Sam grabbed a book and followed him.

"When's the last time we stayed anywhere as nice as this, Sam?" Dean asked over his shoulder.

"Not in a long time." Sam replied. He honestly couldn't remember the last time he had seen Dean so excited for something that wasn't hunting. Soon they got to the pool. Dean pushed open the doors and sighed in contentment when he saw the pool and hot tub.

"See Sammy, this is the way to live." Dean threw the towels on a chair and took a running jump into the deep end of the pool. Sam chuckled and settled down into one of the chairs by the side and cracked open his book. Just when he had gotten into the book, he felt water splash his legs. He out down his book and saw Dean looking proud of himself by the side of the pool.

"Really Dean? I'm trying to do research." Sam said exasperatedly.

"Sammy, please, you gotta learn to stop and smell the roses! It's a beautiful day, and I can't remember the last time we got a day off. Just relax for once in your life!" Dean replied with the same tone.

"Firstly, it's Sam. Secondly, the apocalypse is not going to stop itself. You swim, I'm going to research." Sam had just gotten back into his book when he felt strong arms pick him up bridal-style and throw him into the pool. Sam came spluttering to the surface with laughter ringing in his ears. His head whipped around to see Dean doubled over laughing in the shallow end, looking extremely proud of himself..

"You're a friggin' jerk!" Sam said loudly, swimming over to Dean. Dean was laughing too hard to care until he felt himself be pushed under the water.

"Oh, so you wanna play like that do you Sammy?" Dean said resurfacing, lunging at Sam. Both men were too immersed in their play to notice anything wrong until they heard a deep monotone voice proclaim from the other end of the pool, "I do not understand why this is so pleasurable to you."

Both of the Winchester's heads whipped around to see Cas, fully clothed, standing in the middle of the pool with a confused look on his face. Both men were shocked at the sight in front of them. Then, they both burst into laughter simultaneously. They continued until they were both in tears, the sight in front of them just too funny to keep it in. Cas watched them with a disgruntled look on his face, not understanding what was so funny.

"Cas, buddy," Dean said when he had gotten a hold of himself, "Next time you should wear a swimsuit before jumping into a pool."

"I am wearing a suit, I don't understand what you mean." Cas said, still looking confused. At this the Winchesters burst into laughter again, both struggling to catch their breath.

"A swim suit," Sam said breathlessly, "Like this." He said pointing to his own.

"Oh." Cas said, disappearing and reappearing moments later wearing a swimsuit very similar to Sam's. Sam and Dean both found this very amusing, but chose to just swim lengths instead.

"Oh Cas, what did you want anyways?" Dean asked.

"It is not important. It can wait." Cas said from his perch on the diving board. He was trying to figure out how it worked. He was still peering over the side when he was tossed unceremoniously into the water. When he surfaced, he was looking up to Dean's smug face.

"Dean, why was that necessary?" Cas asked.

"It wasn't, it was just hilarious." Dean replied.

"Oh, in that case." The next thing Dean knew he was being pulled head first into the water. He arose to laughter from Sam and a proud look from Cas. Dean laughed right along with them. The apocalypse was on hold for now, and he was with the two people he cared about most. Life was good with the Winchesters