Chapter 2: Meeting A Genie

A sudden loud clap of thunder sent me reeling back from the trunk. The room quickly filled with a purple-gray fog full of glitter. I choked on the fog as it stung my eyes. Not sure what to do I just sat there blind and coughing hoping for it to end.

“Hello Mauri. Why have you called upon me?” boomed a loud voice. I opened my eyes, startled. I the air began to clear so I could breathe easier.

“Who are you?” I called out as I strained to see. A figure slowly came into view standing next to the trunk.

“I am Ahmed,” he said simply. Flabbergasted, I struggled to make comprehendible thoughts.

“But…you…I…what?” I sputtered like a fish out of water.

“I’m sorry for the loss of your grandmother, Nadia. She was a kind soul I must say. Maybe your wish will be to resurrect her?” after a moment of looking at me he scoffed. “Unlikely it seems.”

“Who are you? What just happened?” I asked confused. He rolled his eyes.

“I just told you I am Ahmed. As for what happened, you released me from my lamp.” Quickly I got up and looked in the trunk. An aged lamp sat in there among the clutter.

Everything suddenly clicked in my head. I must have rubbed my hand against the lamp while I was cleaning.

“You’re a genie?”  I questioned unbelievingly. Ahmed nodded his head.

I looked at him critically. He had sun tanned skin and dark hair like my Saudi Arabian family. He seemed like he was in his late thirties to early forties and wore clothes similar to my old grandfather.

“Prove it,” I said challenging him.

“Snap your fingers,” he replied nonchalantly.  I did as I was told and the smoke from before returned again but without the clap of thunder. When it cleared, he was gone. I ran out of the house without looking back.