Epilogue

They say time heals all wounds.

But in my case, I don’t think it does.

Much to my surprise, Aries and Key didn’t leave me be. Instead, they bought this house for all three of us to stay in just on the outskirts of a city, though I wonder how long they will let me stay here with them. I’m afraid to outstay my welcome.

Fortunately, we never heard from Aristelle after that incident in the ruins when we found out that she has betrayed us. Though, I have to be honest, I wonder what happened to her.

Right now, seven months later, I am sitting in the living room by the window, looking out into the night sky, watching the constellations. Aries and Key are out, doing whatever it is they do all day long so I’m home alone.

I remember earlier today when I asked Aries about mourning over people. I asked him how he managed to get over mourning for his loved ones – but let’s be honest, Aries and Wil were never really close – and he told me this.

“It’s not how fast you get over it because there will always be a part of you that will mourn him. It’s how you learn to live with it.”

Not knowing what else to do, I go to bed.

“Miri,” Key says to me the next day. “I’m going out now. Are you going back there?”

“Yes,” I reply.

She nods. “Be safe.”

“I will.”

I snatch my bag off my bed and head back there, to the Forest of Hallucinations. To the Data Tree.

I constantly come back to the Data Tree. It’s almost like a second home to me now. I know the forest so well that it takes me merely an hour to cross it, or, at least, to get to the heart of the forest, where the Tree is situated.

It may be a hard journey, but I believe that it’s one worth taking.

I come back here for more than one reason. The most obvious reason I because this is the last place I saw Wil. I also like to come back here because it is very calming and peaceful out here. It helps me think.

Another reason I like coming out here is because I can almost feel Wil’s presence here.

Almost.

I lean onto the humongous trunk of the Tree, stretching my legs on the root, crossing them on top of one another. I turn my head to look at the sunset. A smile tugs on my lips, but it doesn’t make me feel anything close to joy. I close my eyes, savouring the moment.

When I open them again, however, I notice a shadow in the distance, to my right, balanced on another root not too far off from the one I am on, heading towards where I am at. I stand up, careful not to fall, afraid of the approaching figure. The person steps into the light, illuminating the figure’s features.

My heart skips a beat when I realise who the person is. Unable to control myself, my lips curve up into a huge, genuine smile, one that I have never worn for such a long time. I climb down from the Tree and run towards the person. The person runs towards me as well, arms outstretched. When we finally meet, the person scoops me up into a bear hug. One that I have missed so much.

“Wil.”

HEY GUYS! THIS IS THE EPILOGUE!!! WEEE! WE'VE COME TO THE END OF THIS STORY!

If you're reading this, I just want to say thank you so so so much for sticking with me for the past 60000+ words. It really means the world to me. Thank you so much. You have no idea how grateful I am to you :)

On another note, I've decided to enter the Wattys this year. I wasn't going to at first because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it in time but it looks like I did. So, I thought I might as well try. :) I'd appreciate it if you could support me :) Perhaps by sharing this story with your friends? :)

I will post the prologue of the next book next week okay? (It's not a sequel. It's just the next book I'm posting) I need some time to plan it out and such. Haha. I hope you will stick around for it :)

I love you guys so much! 

Lots of love, Angelyn :) xx