Chapter 7 - The Proposal

Charlotte looked deeply into Dan's eyes and said, "Yes, I agree to marry you!"

Dan looked more than a little relieved. They hugged and kissed then sat down to enjoy a glass of champagne together. Charlotte had decided that it was too late for her and Oliver. They both had other partners and too much time had elapsed to ever get back together with her old flame. She decided to put out that flame in her heart that still burned for Oliver and let the new flame started by Dan, continue to grow.

The engagement party was a riotous occasion, and this was followed a few months later by the large wedding, with guests from Charlotte and Dan's family and friends. They decided that Dan would sell his house and move to Charlotte's family's farm. They would build a smaller farmhouse near the large one and live the life of farmers. It was a great place to bring up the children they were planning to have.

At first, married life suited them well and their three children grew up and went to school. However, the farm lifestyle didn't suit Dan and he felt trapped. He had worked in the city in the insurance industry and preferred the hustle and bustle of city life. This meant that he and Charlotte would argue about remaining on the farm or moving back to the city. Their life couldn't be sustained with such a significant gap between them. They seemed to be constantly arguing until one day, Dan hit Charlotte across the face and left her with a bruised eye. She forgave him and let him stay until it happened again. This time, it was worse. She ended up in hospital and lay in the bed of the ward with tears running down her face.