Chapter Ten

Josef had had an awakening. He'd lived all these years constantly fretting about how he was depicted in propaganda, and later on instagram, and whether he was good enough in the eyes of others. He'd had enough. No longer could he live this way, trying to gain attention and for what? For validation? Stalin felt pathetic even thinking about it.

The next steps were as clear as the celestial sphere over South America to him. Without a second thought, he deleted instagram . He deleted snapchat. He even deleted twitter where his hilarious quips were greatly favoured. Naturally, this brought him rude comments and friends stopped wanting to spend time with him. Even his beloved Khrushchev, his betrothed, turned round one day and admitted that he had only been with Stalin for the clout and there was no point pretending anymore if Josef no longer cared about the likes of social media.

Yet Stalin didn't care, he needed to live life without the constant competition and pressure the other dead communists placed on him. Were his former friends truly a reflection of the selfishness and carelessness of humanity? He wanted to think that normal humans were different, the mortal, less politically extreme that traipsed the planet in the year of our lord 2019. But alas, he could not seriously believe this.

There may be a good day, where the sun shines and the all encompassing warmth lifts the spirits of those who dwell on this planet called earth, but those bright occasions can't last forever, they must make way for the gloomy and forlorn realities of a stormy sky.

Stalin wrung his hands. How could the planet have come to this? How could human beings have become so fickle in their nature? Communist Russia would have never allowed such trivialities yet here he was, the very picture of the thing he once despised with his flower crowns and fake tan.

Moreover, where was communism today? The Soviet Union was no more, his life's work undone in mere seconds by that Gorbachev fellow. Was Stalin nothing more than an utter failure?

It seems as if the human race was beyond saving. Such values as community and equality that Karl Marx propagated were long forgotten as personal gain became the forefront of everybody's minds. Josef came to the realisation that if his attempt to save humanity hadn't worked, nothing would. What was life if you had to share it with such careless, narrow minded people who simply undid all the good you worked tirelessly to achieve?

With that Josef took one last look at the Venezuela he had once loved, and turned, following the footpath deep into the forest, deep into the abyss,

Never to be seen again.