The Escape

Chapter 7

     Sara was in Zane's room packing his belongings for the trip. Zane watched his mom at the edge of the bed.

"Mom, do you know how long it will take us to get to Houston?"

"Probably two and a half weeks because vehicle travels slow."

As she placed one of Zane's shirts in his bag.

"How special I'm I?" Said, Zane

"You are a very special boy. A boy who someday maybe a hero!"

Zane laughed and was thrilled about hearing the word hero. Otis heard the laugher and came into the room.

"What is so funny?" Otis said

"I think Zane wants to be a hero and save the day" Sara mentioned

"In order for you to be a Hero especially a superhero, you must have big muscles and wear a funny-looking costume." Stated Otis

Zane placed his arms out to flex to his dad.

"Son, it appears you better eat four bowls of oatmeal to gain more muscle mass."

They all started to laugh.

"Well, it's getting late plus I have to finish packing Zane's clothes and mines." Stated Sara.

Otis approached Sara and whispered into her ear.

"Let me have a few moments with Zane?"

Sara gave Otis a kiss and told Zane she needed to go downstairs to grab a box to place more of his clothes.

"Ok, mom!" as Zane kept gangling

"My boy, Zane! I'm so proud of you"

Otis places his arm around Zane's shoulders and kneed in front of him.

"Do you understand again why you are heading to Houston?

"Yeah, Dad! They want to run more test on me"

"Yes, son! Your mom and I mentioned to you earlier, you are special. That is the reason for the test. I promise you, nothing bad will happen, my boy! I will be there within three weeks but will send out a telegram to check on you and your mom"

Zane nobs his head. The time was 1910hrs. Otis went down the stairs while Zane continued to pack his belongings to get ready for tonight's departure.

Richard was now back in his quarters in the underworld. He entered his bedroom and walked over to his dresser drawer. He pulled out an old 45 automatic pistol and slowly loaded three magazines with hollow-point bullets. He inserted one of the loaded magazines into the weapon and forcibly pulled back on the slide to make the pistol ready to be fired. He placed the weapon in his waistband and dropped his shirt over it. He walked out of his bedroom into the living where he sat on his couch while pouring a shot of liquor in a glass jar.

"I have to do this! It is my life and my family on the line!"

Richard continued to pour several more shots of liquor. He looked up at his wall clock and noticed the time. It was 1945hrs.

"Fuck! The time is flying by! I need to get my shirt together and get this boy!"

Richard got up and stumbled a few times while trying to make it to the front door of his quarters. He slowly unlocked the door and opened it. He stepped out into the tunnel and was still stumbling. As he was walking down the tunnel trying to hold himself up along the walls, he noticed a few rebel soldiers with rifles strapped across their shoulders heading towards the exit point of the underground.