Scene I

Rey gasped, opening her eyes, her heart beating, her fingers grasping—

Ben.

Her mind pulsed with pain, her limbs trembled, but Ben pulled her close, his arms around her.

She stared at his face. His bruises and cuts, his smile, the relief he felt flooding her own soul.

She leaned in closer, and he brought his face towards her. They kissed. His face was warm against her cold, clammy lips and nose. When they parted, Ben smiled wide.

And for a fleeting moment, Rey believed that everything would be okay.

But then Ben groaned, softly, and fell back.

"Ben!" she gasped as his head hit the ground, "No, Ben!"

She crawled off of him but kept a firm grip on his hand. She could feel his life force wavering, fading...

"No, Ben, please," she whimpered, holding his hand up to her face, tears filling her eyes. She forced herself to focus with whatever energy she had left, steadying their bonded souls.

"Stay with me," she whispered, gently kissing the back of his hand. "Stay with me."

A long moment passed, and Rey kept her eyes closed. Her heart pounded against her chest, and exhaustion began to settle into her bones, her muscles, her mind. But she ignored her aches and pains, staying focused on Ben, his healing, his soul that she could feel. When she dared to open her eyes, Ben was looking up at her.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "About... everything."

Rey was silent. Slowly, gently she moved to lay down next to him, shoulder-to-shoulder, his hand still held by hers.

"You came for me," Rey finally responded, turning her head to look at him. Shadows were all around them, but the open sky and the final blazes of battle gave her enough light to see his face.

"Yes," he said, his eyes shut.

"Why?"

Ben took in a deep breath. "Watching you, Rey... knowing you gave me the strength I needed. For so long, I wanted you to join me... but I knew, all along I knew that in the end, it would be me who joined you."

She squeezed his hand, tears filling her eyes as she stared back up at the sky.

"My mother..." Rey winced as he spoke, the pain in his voice breaking her heart, "Did she... ever speak of me? After...?"

"Yes," Rey responded, nodding, squeezing his hand, "She always believed in you. She always believed you would come back." She looked at him, and the light of the burning star destroyers glistened in his eyes. She could feel his spirit waiver again.

"Rey," he whispered tenderly, his gaze finally meeting hers as a tear dripped down his cheek, "Please... It would be so much simpler to let me go."

"No," Rey sat up again, the motion making her head spin. She felt herself losing grip on reality, but she forced her vision to stay steady as she put both of her hands on Ben's face, leaning in, shaking her head. "No, I can't. I need you."

Ben just looked at her, searching her face as she gently pushed his dark hair away from his eyes.

"You're... you're the only one who understands, Ben. You're the only one who knows me," she whispered, tears escaping her eyes, "Please, stay with me."

There was a long silence between them, and Rey laid down again, this time resting her head on Ben's chest, listening to his slow heartbeats.

"For you," Ben whispered, "I will stay."