Haze

Hey, I know I haven't updated in like three months, so sorry about that.  It's just that I've been super busy with drama and we've been staying at the school until about nine in the evening for the past couple of weeks.  Plus, life. That's just it.  Life. I got caught up in some bad stuff also, which I've been busy figuring out, so there's probably going to be a giant blob of chapters just getting updated.  

Ender plopped down in one of the auditorium chairs and pulled out her notebook.   She had always loved the Theatre where her godfather practiced his plays of Shakespeare and others. Never had she been let down by one of the performances Tom took her to see. He would let her come backstage and meet the other actors, as long she was quiet throughout the performance.  She could watch from where ever she wanted, whether it be the wings, balcony, or the cloud.   If offered her a break from her regular life that she greatly needed by the time Tom would bring her in.

Today was a rehearsal. They had just gotten a new play, A Midsummer’s Night Dream to perform in about four months. Tom gave her a little wave as he went up to the stage, script in hand.  Ender knew for a fact that her godfather had the entire play practically memorized, because he would recite part of his favorite Shakespeare to her whenever she asked.  He probably took the script up to the stage just for the sake of it.

Ender pulled a notebook out of her backpack and listened to the actors.  Before they walked into the Theatre, Tom had made sure to get her a notebook lined with five lined staffs from the music department. 
She tapped the paper with her pencil and thought for a moment. Mrs. Ashmar had taught the girl the basics of writing music in a crash course and she easily wrapped her mind around it. When the pitch went up, so did the dots. She recalled the sounds of the notes perfectly, as if there was a piano sitting right in front of her. The flats, sharps, the difference between base clef and treble clef, quarter notes and eighth notes,  and everything else was swirling around in Ender's mind.

A tune entered her head, triggered by the  sounds of the actors shuffling onstage. In an instant, the pencil was racing across the page, doubling back every so often to add a tune or some more feeling to the measure. Notes in four-four time switched to three-four time as the rhythm changed.

Ender didn't even notice the two hours pass.

"Ender!" The girl looked up to the area in font of the stage.  Tom was motioning that it was time to go.

She gathered her things and approached him. "Do I really have to go home?"

"Yes," he sighed, holding her smaller hand in his large one. "You do have to go home."

The pair exited the theater. "Why can't I go live with you?"

Tom sighed again. As much as Tom wanted to get Ender out of the house, he simply couldn't.  "I'm trying, darling. But until the government believes that your dad is being mean, they won't let me."

Tom pulled up to the brick house.  It was a classic British neighborhood.  Compact houses with gardens as dreary as the weather.  He leaned over to the passenger seat and placed a gentle kiss on top of Ender's red mop of hair just as he did everyday, because he never knew if it was going to be the last time he ever saw Ender enter that house.  "Ready to go in."

She held the notebook close to her chest and nodded.  

The two walked up the drive their walk much different than when they left the theater.  Ender's shoulders were hunched and her head down. Her feet dragged against the concrete and her grip on Tom's hand had become much tighter.  Tom's strides were shorter, he was taking his time, not wanting to rush Ender into the house.  

There was no need to knock on the door.  Sarah wouldn't care if anyone came in even if they were going to kill her and Micheal wasn't even home yet.  

The door creaked open and Tom waved away the smoke.  "Jesus, Sarah.  Open a window.  You'll suffocate." 

"Does it matter?"

Tom crossed the living room and pushed the window open.  "At least don't let Ender get sick." 

There was click as the small girl across the room shut the front door.

 "I got a call from the school," Tom squinted through the smoke at Sarah, finally visible from the smoke slowly exiting the room.  

"Yeah, so did I."

"I redirected them to you. I was busy." 

"Hm,  the smell of the smoke tells me something different." Tom muttered.  "It was deal wasn't it?"

"It's none of you business." Sarah's raspy voice became harsh.

"It is my business.  Especially if you're smoking what I think you are. And around Ender."

Sarah stood up and looked up to Tom.  "I think it's time for you to leave."

"Not until I tell what the school wanted."

"Okay," she collapsed onto the couch, and took a drag. "What did they want?"

"Ender's smarter than you think."

"That's what every parent thinks."

"She mastered the piano and was able to play Bach in an hour."

Sarah looked up, her brows furrowed. "Bullshit."

"Language," Tom warned.  "And I'm not kidding.  She also has been writing music all afternoon."

Sarah stared at Tom suspiciously.  "Ender, come here darling."

Ender emerged from her room, clothes changed from her school uniform to a tee shirt and skirt.  She was still clutching her notebook. Knowing what her mother wanted, she handed the notebook over to Sarah.  The mother flipped through the notebook, recognizing the notes and her daughter's handwriting.  

"You were going to major in music, weren't you?" Tom asked.

"Yeah," Sarah continued to read the music.  "This is advanced.  This is beyond what I could write while I was in school.  Far beyond." Sarah looked up at Tom, her bloodshot eyes meeting his. "She did this all today?"

"Yes."

"You do realize what Micheal will do if he finds out about this."

"Yes."

Sarah held the book out to Tom.  "Keep ahold of it for Ender.  If Micheal finds it..."

Tom took it and closed it. "I know Sarah."  

Sarah began anxiously running her hands through Ender's hair, who sat on the couch next to her, and looked at her watch.  "I think it's time for you leave.  Micheal will be here in about fifteen minutes."

Tom bent down to hug Ender, who still hadn't spoken a word.  "See ya tomorrow, Panda."

Ender smiled at her nickname as she looped her arms around Tom's neck to hug him.  "See you tomorrow."

Tom kissed her cheek and stood up.  "Pick her up from school as usual?"

Sarah nodded.  

"I can't do it every single day, Sarah. I have classes and theater." 

"I know, Tom.  I'm working on it."

"Okay, then," he sighed and headed to the door. "Bye Sarah.  And keep that window open." 

The door shut.