twenty-four || for another day

It's funny how something that used to be so awful and detrimental to survival turned into something so freeing.

Tanner, who had multiple last names and no last name at all, had spent three years running for her life. If she ever stopped, ever got too relaxed, it didn't end well. And when she was finally freed from her waking nightmare?

All she wanted to do was run.

But since there was nothing chasing behind her, she had to run on a track instead.

It boggled her mind that there were awards and tournaments for running, but there she was on the shared Hawkins track despite the light dust of snow from the night before, and she was blowing everyone out of the water.

It had only been a week since she had been cleared to run for the first time in months, and it came back just as natural as breathing.

She was happy to find that her priorities in life were friends, school, and making the track team instead trying not to be eaten by monsters.

Coach Barker could've sworn he had just started the mile timer, yet there Tanner was in front of him, barely breaking a sweat as she crossed the finish line. He blinked several times, considering the brunette dressed in pants and a long sleeve unlike the other runners decked in shorts and t-shirts. "I, uh...wow. Wow, Byers."

Tanner grinned wide as the mild statured man held up his hand, high fiving him. She let out a light breath as she rested her hands on her hips, blowing a loose strand of hair from her face.

Both Tanner and Coach Barker took a pause, looking back to the track where several team hopefuls were pressed for breath and still had at least a lap to go.

"I don't even know what to say," Barker told her, adjusting his IU baseball cap. "I mean, hurdles, long distance, long jump, pole vault, all of it was incredible from you."

"Are there any other events?" she asked, stretching her legs for good measure.

Barker's brows shot up. "You want more? Good lord, girl. Everyone else here is pissed at me from how much I'm putting them through just for tryouts. I mean, you're not even sweating."

"I guess it's just a good day for me," she deflected in reply, unsure of what else she could possibly say.

Thanks, I was raised in a lab.

Thanks, I used to run for my life but now I just run for fun.

Thanks, I have superpowers.

"Well, if you have a lot of good days, you're looking at nationals." Coach Barker tucked his clipboard under his arm before offering a hand out to her. "Welcome to the team, Tanner."

Tanner's grin grew wide, her heart pulsating at a triumphant pace. "Thank you so much, Coach," she said, shaking his hand excitedly.

"No, thank you," Barker replied with a soft laugh. "We might have a decent shot at some trophies this season." He sighed, eyes returning to the track where dozens of bodies were struggling to keep up a jog to finish their final lap. "Maybe." He jabbed a thumb over his shoulder. "Grab a uniform and meet here Monday after school."

Nearly ready to dance, Tanner turned on a dime and went to the large cardboard box marked 'women's'.

Tanner's fluttering heart dropped clear out of happiness and into anxiety, pulling out a tiny pair of running shorts. "Oh no," she quietly said, digging through the heap of green and yellow clothes.

Tank tops, running shorts. Tank, shorts.

"Way to hustle, guy!" Coach Barker cheered, clapping a hand against his clipboard. "You can do it! Finish strong!"