Prep

Annabeth stared in awe at the mirror in front of her. The face that stared back was hardly her's. Hair smooth in golden ringlets, skin glowing with gold dust, nails in perfect ovals. Annabeth grinned at herself.

"I look amazing! And definitely not myself." Aphrodite, her head stylist, smiled at her in the mirror.

"Ready for your dress my dear?"

Her two attendants, Drew and Mitchell, brought out a dress covered in white paper, the crinkling reminded Annabeth of rifling through the garbage outside of the butcher's. Annabeth slipped the gown on, admiring the smooth fabric against her skin.

"Now look at yourself," murmured Aphrodite as she spun Annabeth to face the mirror.

The dress was simple and white, but on Annabeth it looked radiant. Mitchell beamed at her.

"You look like a Greek goddess!"

Gold bands encircled her biceps and wrists and against the white of the dress her skin seemed to really glow gold. Aphrodite smiled as she placed the finishing touch on top of her head; a thin golden band patterned with interlocking leaves.

"I guess I do," Annabeth marveled, turning side to side. Aphrodite handed her a pair of sandals, brown and simple.

"That's the look I was going for."

Annabeth finally tore her gaze from the mirror. "Thank you! I don't even know what to say."

Aphrodite put her arms around Mitchell and Drew. "Just make us proud, dear."

Chiron escorted Annabeth to the waiting area, a simple room with a couch and tv.

"Any last words of advice?" she asked. Chiron smiled.

"Just be yourself. Show them you're not just another district 12 tribute."

Annabeth nodded. "Ok."

"Dionysus should be bringing Percy by any minute now, so I will leave you to it!"

With that Chiron left, leaving Annabeth alone on the couch. Five minutes later the door opened, revealing Dionysus in a hideous purple and red jumpsuit and Percy.

In his black tux with dark green accents, he looked strikingly handsome. Percy's eyes lit up when he saw her and he broke into a goofy grin.

"Annabeth you look amazing!"

His hair, normally messy and swept across his face, was artfully tousled in a way that accentuated his strong jaw and eyes while still showing his personality. His stylist knew what they were doing, Annabeth couldn't help checking him out.

"You too! Your hair looks like... normal." Percy rolled his eyes.

"Funny. I'm afraid if I sneeze it's all going to fall apart."

Annabeth smiled and gestured to the couch. "Shall we?"

The interviews seem to pass in a blur. Reyna in purple and gold, Jason with a sky blue tie that matched his eyes, Clarisse who answered "yes" when asked her weapon of choice. Every tribute seemed to be playing an angle. Frank was sweet and shy, Leo was funny, Piper had the audience totally captivated in her jeweled gown, and Bianca "just wanted to protect her brother". Nico, in a pure black suit, was shy at first, but started to open up to Apollo. Hazel was calm and collected, and then Grover took the stage and the door to their room opened.

"Annabeth Chase? You're up."

Annabeth stood and allowed herself to be escorted to the door. Suddenly overcome with fear, she twisted around and desperately locked eyes with Percy.

"You'll be fine, Annabeth! Just-" the door clicked behind her. She leaned against a wall in the hallway to steady her breathing.

"Let's get this over with."