Wake but keep your eyes closed

"When?"

One word.

Barely a question.

And yet still an answer I didnt want to hear.

"I don't know."

"Why?"

A sigh.

"I'm trying to keep you safe."

"I don't care."

"Of course you don't. You never have. Too bad I do. Too bad I care. I'm not going to let them get you. Either of them. No matter what."

"Even if we're stuck forever.

"I'm going to find you. We won't need here anymore. And then -"

"And then we'll live happily ever after. And then we'll die. And then we'll be back at square one."

That hurt. I could feel it. I didn't apologize.

"Let me help." And with one whisper I brought back a century old argument. The same one I always lost someway or another. But not today. I was finally ready to argue and fuss and whimper and wail till he let me.

"No." Firm. Final. Or so he thought.

"I won't look. Just let me wake. It'll make this easier to find me."

He opened his mouth. I expected a fiercer no. Instead I heard a sigh. I had won.

"Promise me. Promise me that's all you'll do." He wanted me to lie. He knew I'd look. Eventually. But I could give him that comfort.

"I promise."

He sighed a small smile wiggled it's way on his face. "I love you."

I smiled, pleased that went smoother than I had assumed.

"I lov-"

And at that moment, Adrianna awoke. Forgetting everything. Her dream. Her task. Her love.