Chapter 19

Logan:

     After I finally convince Remus to get up we head downstairs together. His fingers laced with mine.

     Roman walks past us on his way out of the kitchen, "God," he says when he sees our hands, "not you too."

     "Whatever do you mean by that?" I ask incredulously.

     "Dee and Patton are together, Virgil caught them, he wasn't exactly thrilled. I doubt this is gonna go over any better." He says simply, before rushing off.

"Huh," Remus says quietly, "Deceit and Patton, who would've guessed."

"I suppose anything is possible when it comes to emotions," I reply softly.

"Yeah, like an absolutely adorable genius in a relationship with someone like me," he chuckles.

"Is that self deprecating humor?" I ask unsure.

Remus thinks for a moment, "I suppose so, yes."

I lean up and kiss him on the cheek, "That's bad, don't think lowly of yourself. I think you're wonderful."

He smiles, "Thanks," he punches me in the arm, "nerd."

I chuckle and squeeze his hand, "maybe we shouldn't do this," I gesture to our joined hands, "in front of Virgil."

He thinks about it, "Just for right now though, right?"

     "Yes, of course. Just until a time when it's appropriate to let him know."

     He smiles and gives my hand a final squeeze before letting go, "lets go." He mumbles softly before heading into the kitchen.

Remus:

     "Hey, Vee!" I call to Virgil.

     He glances over to me, then Logan. He looks between us both, suspicion clear on his face. "Morning, Remus."

     "Salutations, Virgil. Do you require any assistance?" Logan walks over to where Virgil is attempting to make breakfast.

     "Nah, I think I got it." He says as the bacon bursts into flame.

     Logan wordlessly turns the stove off, "I see that."

     "I don't really need this today, Lo. Okay?" He glares at Logan.

     "Yes, I see that you are frustrated. I will give you some space." Logan walks back over to me, "We should go back upstairs."

     "Vee? Are you gonna be okay?" I ask concerned.

     "Yeah, I just...um...I could really use a little alone time? Sorry, Remus."

     "No, it's okay." I say quickly, "go ahead, just...try to relax."

     "Thanks, Remus." He offers me a small smile.

     "Anytime," I laugh.

*****

     "Are you sure you're okay with this?" I ask Logan.

"Okay with what?" He asks, looking up from his book.

"This. Us. You and me. Dating a nutjob. Are you okay with that?"

"I don't think you're a nutjob," he says softly, "And I am more than okay with this." He leans up and kisses me on the lips.

"Are you sure?" I ask again.

"Are you not?" He asks.

"No, no." His face falls, "No, I mean...I really enjoy spending time with you. I really really like you, Logan. I just can't figure out why you'd ever like me!"

"Oh, he says relieved. Well, why didn't you simply ask?"

I stare at him blankly, "What?"

     "If you would like me to, I could explain my recent infatuation with you," he explains as if this were a completely normal solution.

     "Um...okay," I answer in what I believe to be a moment of pure eloquence.

     "Your point of view is so different from all of the other sides, you do not abide by the rules of most societal members, not the rules of logic, except you do in a strange sort of way. You treat me as if I'm important, and not like you only want me around because I am necessary. You say such amazing and interesting things and your demeanor is simultaneously mature and childlike in a rather endearing way." he stops and takes a breath, "there are more, many more. Would you like me to list those as well?"

    The genuineness in his voice makes my heart melt, "No," I answer, "because if you're doing that. I can't do this." I lean forward and press my lips against his.

Deceit:

     I finally shift my weight a little and open my eyes, pretending to have just woken up.

     "Good morning, Dee," Patton whispers to me gently.

     "Good morning, Patton," I smile softly.

     "Did you sleep well?" He asks awkwardly.

     "It was the worst nights sleep I've ever gotten," I mumble to him.

     "Oh," he looks down, "I'm sorry."

     I quickly rush to fix my mistake, "No,no, Patton, I'm lying. I slept fantastically, I promise."

     I see him relax, "good," He exhales, then looks at the clock, "oh no, everyone's up by now! I didn't make breakfast!" He stands up, roughly breaking away from me, "oh no, what if someone else tried to cook?! What if they caused a fire?!"

     "I'm sure they'd tell you if they started a fire,"'I say grumpily as I sit up on the bed.

     "You don't know the lengths they'll go to avoid admitting their mistakes!" He shouts in a panicked voice before running out the door.

     I sigh, I suppose I can get up now. Without Patton, the idea of laying in bed all day is just boring.