Chapter 25: The Era of Negotiation

Michael was escorted into the room, I noticed, with a far greater number of security personnel than I was

Michael was escorted into the room, I noticed, with a far greater number of security personnel than I was. Not that I could blame Marcus or them. I knew what he was capable of. At least, I thought I'd known. It turned out that he was far more skilled at what he did than even I'd realised.

A paid killer, Marcus had said. But paid by who? Other vampires?

Still seated in front of the desk, I scratched at the corner of the chrome tablet, trying not to look at Michael as he approached, although my gaze was drawn to him, nevertheless. I didn't want to think about that kiss. The way his arms had felt around me. His mouth against my throat. But I couldn't help replaying it over and over, feeling my face burn as our eyes met.

Behind him the security team remained, a wall of muscle and determination, with their hands poised over triggers and senses alert. I hated that they were here and looked to Marcus to dismiss them. He was back over by the window, the city moving behind him, and seeming to be completely unfazed by Michael's presence.

'He's not going to do anything stupid,' I insisted, shooting a warning glance at Michael. 'Are you?'

'I was thinking of us both just walking out of here,' Michael said, with a shrug. 'That wouldn't be stupid at all. In fact, it would probably be the smartest move we could make right now.'

Unease stirred in my chest, and I looked away before he could say anything more.

'And you will be free to go, Mr. Quinn,' Marcus said. 'But in the short time you will remain here, I'd like your word that you will not do anything that will encourage my guards to react. It would be an inconvenience to redecorate, not to mention I would not wish anything to occur that would upset my daughter.'

Michael eyed me steadily. 'Oh, so it's happy families now?'

'Hardly,' I bit back. 'Will you just give him your word? Please.'

There was a moment when I thought he'd refuse. He appeared tense, a spring coiled so tightly that every second threatened release. Finally, he shook his head as if in disbelief and breathed the word 'fine.'

Marcus appeared less convinced but dismissed his security team anyway, although I had a feeling they would burst back through the doors at any given moment, should Michael not stick to his promise.

'So, what's happening?' Michael said, glancing around the room and looking less than impressed with what he saw, particularly when his gaze fell upon the CCTV monitors. 'What stories has daddy been telling you? Did he explain why he's been an absent father all this time? Too busy with his Council mates to spend time with his only daughter?' He shot Marcus a look. 'Sarah is your only one, right? Or do you have a few more Sensors tucked away somewhere?'

'Your flippancy is beneath you, Mr. Quinn,' Marcus replied.

'And your belief that you can abduct your daughter and get away with it is beneath you, Signor DiCenzo.'