Thirty Two

The door burst open and Vinni came sprinting in- Serenity could barely register what'd happened before she was wrapped in his arms.

"I'm gonna be a fuckin' uncle!" He yelled as he spun her around. He began to ramble on about how excited he was and how fun this was going to be.

"Vinni! Put me down!" Serenity sternly spoke- her energy not matching his. Immediately picking up on this he set her down and took a step back.

"Sorry. I guess I got a bit too excited." He awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

"You think." The malice in her tone wasn't how she'd really felt. His reaction was heartwarming and she appreciated the enthusiasm, but her mind only focused on her own displeasure at her bad choice. She always used her platform to teach young girls to practice safe sex yet here she was sleeping with a man unprotected- a man who wasn't even her boyfriend technically.

"Hey, what's wrong? Why the long face?" Vinni stepped closer and softly rubbed her arms. The concern on his face made her feel worse for the way she'd reacted- he was only trying to be a good friend.

"I-I'm not ready, Vin." She confessed. Tears welled up and she leaned forward into his chest. Strong arms wrapped around her and he simply held her for the moment.

"I hate to interrupt but Angelo is calling. Should I answer?" Mabel's voice interrupted their embrace and she felt Vinni reach out for the device. One arm remained wrapped around her while the other held the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" She could just barely make out the deep voice of Angelo on the other end.

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's fine. She just caught a stomach bug. It should pass soon." Serenity felt her heart warm at his lie. He respected her unspoken decision to wait to tell Angelo.

"Oh, you wanna speak to her?" Vinni's voice went up an octave and she quickly shook her head. She looked up at him, her eyes pleading for him to make up an excuse. As he stared down at her, his eyes raked her face quickly, apprehension in them.

"Shit. Looks like she's finally asleep now. I'll let you know when she gets up." He lied- his eyes yet to leave hers- the intensity behind them made her uncomfortable and she quickly looked away.

"Alright, fratello. Be safe, talk to you later." He spoke before hanging up the device. The embrace around her loosened before he fully stepped back-his hand running through his hair.

"Thank you." She whispered out. He stared at her for a moment, nodded, then left the room. Serenity felt something eating away at her but couldn't place it.

"And thank you. I appreciate you coming out so quickly." She spoke as she turned to face Mabel. The woman smiled sweetly before packing her things away and leaving the room. Now alone with her thoughts Serenity took a deep breath.

Could she really be a mother? Her mind raced. Not only was she was in love with a criminal but she was now having his baby. Making up her mind to get a test first, she quickly slipped on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

"Where are you going?" Vinni hopped up from the couch as she came down the stairs- gym shoes in hand.

"I need a test. I can't be sure until I take a test." She spoke more to herself than him. Slipping on her jacket, she grabbed her keys and headed towards the garage.

"Mind if I join?" Vinni spoke as he jumped into her passenger seat.

"Well it defeats the purpose of asking when you get in anyways." She pointed out as she backed from the garage.