Ladylike

A/N: With thanks to @Darkareaders who came to me with a request to explore how Vergil thinks of Lady. It might not turn the way out exactly like requested, but I hope it was close enough!

[Ladylike]

Personality: DMC3/DMC 5 V/Post-DMC 5 Vergil

For a long time, the silence of the large room was all that Lady heard as she kept her head behind the barrier made by her arms rested on top of her knees. It had been deafening silence ever since the fight; a type of silence that Lady was not used to. It was an emotional quiet –a final silencing of the rage that had been screaming in her heart that kept her going forward without ever taking a step back to hesitate or think about her future.

Dante had gone ahead with her trusty rocket launcher, and left her behind to take a break from their exhausting fight. Lady wondered if she had the guts or motivation anymore to chase after him now that he had promised that he would help free her father. It had been her wish, but inside, she was not so sure.

Free her father? It was nothing but a stupid wish –a dream –that Dante could solve the issue just like that. Even if Dante stopped his attaining Sparda's power, her father was only going to go ahead looking for some other impressive demon general's power to obtain. He was never going to stop trying to be more than human, and Lady was never going to stop chasing after him to stop him –only to back out at the last minute because inside her still lived a naïve Mary Ann who still wanted her father's love.

The sound of hinges protesting as a door at the far entrance of the library opened rang and she froze temporarily. She was exhausted from the fight with Dante –which had honestly proved that no matter how much of a useless idiot the half-demon had appeared to be, he was still a force that could easily overpower her if he had any actual intention to do so in the first place. Lady could hardly move her arms anymore, and she had not reloaded any of the guns that she had burnt out trying to get just a single shot at the man. She no longer had her rocket launcher, and she was particularly vulnerable at the moment to any demon with impeccable timing.

The sound of steady clicks of footsteps across the marbled floor made her confirm that it was no normal demon that had intruded on her vulnerable time. There were only three other beings in the entire tower that walked on two feet with actual shoes, and two of them were scheduled to be battling it out at the top of the tower anytime soon. She could easily guess the identity of the last person who had walked into the destroyed library at the moment in his clear, sharp clicks.

"Leave this place. Weak humans have no part to play." The haughty declaration was made even while the footsteps continued. There was no asking who that statement was addressed to, as Lady heard the footsteps near her.

"It was a weak human who tricked and used you and your brother." She answered, finally looking up and opening her eyes back to the dim lights of the library to see the blue coat flutter in non-existent wind as the man walked briskly. "It was a weak human who helped you resurrect this demonic tower, and it is the same weak human who is on the top of this thing. That weak human is my father."

"That is an insane buffoon who lost every bit of his humanity and sold his soul to the wrong Devil. He will pay for overstepping his boundaries." Vergil's reply was equally biting, but at least her words had stopped him. Had he not been prepared for her retort against his words? Did he expect her to accept and obey his demand just like that?

"He was obsessed with being the devil and you only made it worse. You gave him hope that he could attain Sparda's power." Lady accused. "If he has lost his sanity with his humanity, then so have you. A half-demon? Don't joke to me; you are just like my father –you discarded every last shred of your humanity away to get your father's power. Soon your sanity will go and your brother will be the one who stops you."