The Rake

New York City, New York

1867

When Felix last saw Nora in England, she'd been standing in her bedchamber in a state of undress. 

Nora's aunt Lily and uncle Lewis had been hosting a dinner party. Naturally, Felix had arranged to be seated next to Nora, proper etiquette be damned. Much to his delight, the evening had been going swimmingly. He had laughed with Nora all through the salad and soup courses. But in the middle of the main course, Nora had exclaimed that she wasn't feeling well and darted from the table.

Felix had debated for a few minutes, and then—once again damning etiquette—rushed after her. His intentions had been pure, of course. Felix had merely intended to inquire if she was alright.

But when he knocked on her door, there'd been no reply. So he'd pushed it open and softly took a step inside to an almost laughable sight: Nora spinning around in circles as she attempted to single-handedly unlace her gown. It was almost like a dog chasing its own tail. In fact, Felix remembered Nora making a joke about her spaniel, Cooper.

Felix had offered her help. To do otherwise would have been rude. Well, actually, the gentlemanly thing to do would have been to ring for a maid to do it for her, but then Felix wasn't quite a gentleman. He'd undone the laces on her dress and then continued to do the same thing for her corset, which he understood was the problem as it restricted her airflow.

Felix had almost been able to hear the sigh of relief when he finally reached the end of her stays, and then Nora turned to face him. Only they hadn't accounted for who would continue to hold up her dress or corset, and both fell to the ground around her.

A gentleman would have shielded his eyes or picked up her gown to cover her, or at the very least, turned away. But Felix had just stared at the beautiful woman in front of him. Of course, she'd still been wearing her chemise, but it was thread-bare—the soft, gauzy fabric entirely translucent in front of the glow of the fire.

Nora hadn't done anything either, just looked at him with brightly dangerous eyes....not unlike what she was doing now as she sat across the table from him at dinner.

Except currently, they weren't alone. In fact, they were the farthest thing from alone. Nora's parents, Leo, and Oliver were watching the two of them like spies, well-trained in the art of flirting detection.

"Tell me, my lords," Mrs. Williams purred. "Do you intend to stay in New York for very long?"

"Uh," Felix began, unsure of how to answer. The length of their stay truly depended upon Nora. Felix desperately wanted to speak to her alone. She was so goddamn beautiful, her strawberry hair curling gently around that sweet face of hers as she watched him intently. The dress she was wearing flowed so gracefully about her that it reminded Felix of the sea, the color a deep green.

When Nora had walked into the foyer earlier, Felix had barely been able to form a coherent thought. And now sitting at the dinner table, he still was unable to. Luckily, Mrs. Williams cut Felix off, saving him from giving an answer.

"I do hope that you'll consider staying for the holiday. Christmas is a mere week away!"

Felix glanced at his uncle. He wasn't sure how long Leo wanted to be gone from the new publishing house. But the man didn't seem alarmed at the prospect of staying a week and replied in a friendly fashion to Mrs. Williams.

"We shall certainly consider the idea, Mrs. Williams. Thank you for your hospitality."

Felix directed his attention toward Nora's father, curious to his perspective on gaining houseguests. Mr. Williams had arrived just before dinner and appeared to be a reserved gentleman. He was intent on eating his food and didn't seem phased by the conversation in the slightest. Occasionally he would mumble to his business associate, the senior Mr. Rockwell, who had also come to dinner with his wife.