fifteen.

fifteen.

The smell of food stimulated my nose as I opened my eyes, an experience I was beginning to grow used to in the Willow household. Tyler really liked to cook, I gathered. I wondered if it was his job.

I sat up, the throw blanket June had placed over me falling. I blushed when I noticed that she had fallen asleep as well, right next to me, and in my sleep I had moved closer to her. I noticed she had nothing covering her and placed my own blanket on top of her. I tiptoed out of the room, trying not to wake her.

I walked to the stairs, peeking down them. Now was the prime time to interrogate June's family about her. I wondered what I could ask her brother, since she said he'd taught her to fight.

I padded down the stairs, seeking out the kitchen with my nose. his apron was different today, small and frilly.

"Nice apron," I complimented him. He swung around, grinning.

"It is, isn't it?" He observed, pulling at one of the frills. "It used to be my sister's when she was little." I stifled a snort.

"June's?" I asked, baffled.

"Yes," he said solemnly, "she loved to bake. Well, eat the icing while others baked."

"'Others' being you?" I guessed. He winked.

"So what brings you to my humble abode?" He asked as if the kitchen was his room.

"The smell of food," I revealed. He squinted at me, which was hilarious because he looked exactly like June when he did so. It was the same 'I can't believe you're standing here wasting my time' expression she had sometimes.

"I don't believe you," he declared. I was taken aback.

"What?"

"I can tell you about June," his grin was back, and I was starting to see why it annoyed June so much.

"Um," I said. He waved me off. Although his smile was non-threatening, his eyes held the same glint June's did the night I was attacked. It made a shiver run down my spine.

"I know you were listening," he said, and my eyes widened in panic.

"Listen--" I started.

"June doesn't know," he said, which made me calm a bit. I watched him warily.

"I didn't hear everything," I told him.

"But you heard enough," he volleyed. I stayed silent. His grin widened.

"What do you want?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he said innocently, "but I'll answer your questions." I wasn't an idiot-- he wanted something.

"For what?" I didn't like the glint in his eye.

"I don't want anything, for now. But I'll keep you in mind if anything comes up," he sing-songed.

"You said you'd tell me about June?" I said. He leaned against the counter, lowering himself so our eyes were level.

"I love my sister." The way he said it, so matter of fact, made me uneasy.

"I don't doubt that," I agreed.

"But sometimes she's an idiot," he continued. "I don't want to disrespect her wishes, but..." He sighed.

"But?" I questioned.

"It doesn't seem like you'll be going away," he explained, "which means that you might get mixed up in our business. My sister would like to think that you'll be safe just because you don't know anything, but... we've seen how that worked out." My eyes shot open. Was he insinuating that my assault wasn't random? That it was something that had to do with June's past?

It made sense, then, why she lost control. It reminds me, she'd said.

"Do you mean..." I asked in disbelief. He nodded.

"Probably."

"So what should I do?" I felt myself beginning to panic but willed myself to stay calm.

"You?" His eyes turned kind. "Nothing. Stay by my sister's side. She may not express her emotions very well, but she needs you. After all of her friends left, she began to lash out more-- she was ungrounded. But now, she seems happier. More stable."

"Which is why we need to keep you safe," a new voice said. June's mom walked into the kitchen, a comforting smile stretching across her face.

"Jean," I said, surprised. She picked up a spoon, knocking Tyler with it.

"Stop scaring the girl and get us some food," she ordered.

"Yes, mom," he said obediently. She rolled her eyes at him.

"Come, sit, sweetie," she ushered me out of the room.

"I can help set the table," I offered, to which her smile brightened.

"Oh, honey, aren't you just a delight? I should have had another daughter like you instead of that lug," she cooed.

"I can hear you!" Came Tyler's offended voice from the kitchen. I giggled.

"Mia?" The second I heard my name on her tongue, I quivered. June looked sleepy, wearing an oversized sweater and her signature squint. I tottered over to her.

"June!" I grinned, happy to see her for some reason. Her eyes softened as she watched me for a moment, then tensed as she looked at her brother from across the room. He shot her a smirk, which only served to exasperate her squint.

"Help Mia set the table, won't you, darling?" Jean asked her daughter.

"How come you call June 'darling' but you never call me anything nice?" Tyler whined. Jean turned to glare at him.

"My love is reserved for those who go to college."

"June isn't in college, either!"

"But she will be, won't she?" Jean turned to croon at her daughter. June winced.

"Actually, mom, I need to talk to you about that..." Jean blanched.

"No! No talking." She threw herself in a chair, shooing us away. I tried not to laugh as I followed June into the kitchen to gather silverware.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

This one was a bit shorter.

How do we like Tyler? ;)

Any guesses on what their conversation was about?

Feel free to leave comments/suggestions/edits!

Vote if you liked this chapter! It means a lot to me <3