Midnight's Strike

Moments are what brains exist for. The human mind works in ways that scientist can only theorize, but not even the best brains in the science game can explain those certain sweet or terrifying moments. It is moments like those that stay with the soul as it makes its journey into the afterworld or reincarnates into something different.

Being Death has it's advantages; every time I encounter another soul is different. Some souls run from me and some souls stay. Some souls are evil and some souls are purely innocent. Personal traits from every lifetime stay with the soul and as it makes journey into their new life.

As for me? I have no soul.

Being death means that I have to help people journey into another life, pleasent or unpleasent. Being death means that even though I encounter souls every day I must not sympathize. I must not feel. The only reason death has a soulmate is because we need to keep the line of ancient angels going.

Death does not die. Every angel of death recorded in history simple travels between worlds. Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Earth are all just different worlds that can only be seen by certain eyes. If you travel through portals between these worlds, you will find all of my relatives.

I have had a lot of memorable moments in my life but so far the most memorable would be the moment my aunt did, and all the lies she's ever told me came to light. These were moments her soulmate didn't even know and once they were recovered it only ignited the rage hidden deep inside of me. Most of the life I lived as a human was spent with her. Most of my sweetest memories were with her. She was the only parent I ever knew in my human life and she lied to me.

But, like I said before, being death has its own advantages.

Being Death may mean I am an angel, but it also means I have a demonic bloodlust that can only be satisfied by killing. With every victim I've ever encountered I have tried not to feel their pain, I've tried not to sympathize, and I've tried to have just a little bit of self control. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I snap and inflict my rage on anything I can get my hands on. Everytime that happens, it becomes another horrible moment in my life to add on to the others.

When I strike, I strike hard. It's the reason I have a scythe. It's a reason I'm death in the first place. Mortals aren't meant to live forever. Dieing may be scary, but if you live forever you are going to see and experience some pretty awful crap over the years. Before you know it, you'll be as bored as Edward Cullen, and seek happiness from someone ninety years your junior.

We all know how that turned out...

So, ask yourself, do you want to run from death? It's just another moment that will stay with your soul forever, and it will certainly not be a pleasent one.