Dark Secrets

I live in average town, well you know that neighborhood where everyone knows each other and their business. I could always remember laying in bed listening to the train go by, thinking about where it was headed to next. There was tunnel at the end of our road by the creek, no one really liked to go near it because they thought it was "haunted". I was sitting at my desk in my room which faced the window and over looked the street. Mr.Hindley lived across from my house he had just pulled into his driveway, he quickly got out and walked up to the front door. Hindley fumbled around in his coat pocket looking for the keys, I went over to my bed to get my notebook and when I came back he already disappeared inside.

"Ryan!"

"What now?"

"Are you watching Mr.Hindley again?"

"Uh um uh no." I said trying to cover my notebook.

She put her hand to her forehead and shook it," Ryan, honestly you need to leave that poor old man alone."

"But mom."

"No but mom, just stop it okay? Now dinner will be done shortly come down to join the rest of us."

"Mom please listen to me!"

"That's enough Ryan, we will discuss it over dinner," She snapped and closed the door behind her.

I fell onto my bed letting out a sigh, I layed on my back tossing my baseball up into the air and catching it before it could hit my face. "Why won't she ever believe me?" I heard Dad's car door slam shut outside and him coming into the house with his heavy footsteps. I decided to make an appearance downstairs in the dining room. Mom was setting the table with plates filled with food. I sat down quietly and starred at my dinner.

Folding his hands together," Is there something you want to tell me?"

"No Dad."

"He was watching Hindley again," Mom butted in leaning up against the wall that separated the kitchen and dining room.

"I was not, was going to start my homework and he was just...just there!" I yelled," I don't make him magically appear when I want to!"

"Okay," Dad spoke as he stabbed his steak with the fork.

"I knew it, I knew you guys wouldn't believe me!" I cried and ran outside.

I went to the backyard to calm down, laying across the grass watching the brown and orange leaves fall onto the damp ground; not realizing that I had fallen asleep.

The road was dark, unfamiliar to me. A heavy fog covered the sky making my vision complicated to see where I was going. I looked down at my feet, one of my shoes was missing and my shirt was ripped. Where did I come from? Where was I going now? Someone was behind me, walking at a much faster pace. I started to run, the figure ran as well. Faster and faster I ran, my heart felt it was ready to burst. It seemed as if I ran into the tunnel, I thought maybe whoever was following me, would get lost and give up. I leaned up against the cold, wet stone wall and slowly sat down. I looked up and felt small water drops drip onto my face. I started to feel tightness around my throat as if someone was grabbing it from behind and then everything went black.

"Ryan, hey son wake up," Dad said nudging me in the arm.

I opened my eyes and rubbed them, Dad was peering over me. I sat up and looked around, everything seemed the same.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," I said getting up brushing off some leaves.

"Well come back inside, Mom reheated your dinner."