Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

"What is this?" Danlis demanded, pointing at the man on the throne. "Is that you?"

I said nothing, my eyes locked with the Dark Lord's. He sat so quietly, so casually, it was as though he expected all of this. He sat as though he watched some bit of theater, with us performing for his pleasure. He was motionless, and his eyes sought out nothing but me.

"Hey!" Danlis yelled. "I asked you a question!"

I looked to him, my head turning slowly to meet his fierce gaze. The corporal was talking, but I could not hear him, not really. I felt as though I were in a fog, or submerged in a deep lake. He seemed to move in slow motion, and what sounds I heard from him were distorted.

I turned back to the Dark Lord. He was still and calm. His eyes gave off the slightest glow, and I was sure his mouth turned up in the slightest of smirks.

"What are you?" I asked the Dark Lord through the haze.

The Dark Lord shook his head ever so slightly, and then looked to Danlis. What did he want? Why would he not answer? I had come so far, traveled beyond the very edge of our world, and returned. Why would he not speak to me.

Danlis pushed me back, and I fell backwards onto the floor, the back of my head striking the carpet. The world blurred, shifted back and forth. The ceiling, simple stone, seemed to pulse with life. Then, stepping into my field of vision, Corporal Danlis stood over me. His voice was still so distant.

I looked back to the Dark Lord, who did not move, did not react to the scene before him.

Again I asked him, "What are you?"

He shook his head. "That is the wrong question, Jovan," his said in a deep voice that was my own, and yet not. It was changed, as though a voice could somehow hold power.

Danlis turned to the Dark Lord, leveling his rifle. He approached the throne, but stopped short of it. He seemed unable to move. The Dark Lord turned to me.

"Ask the right question," the image on the throne demanded of me.

I tried to stand up, but Private Bowder used his boot to hold me down by the shoulder. I had lost my patience for such nonsense. I took hold of his foot, and twisting violently, sent Bowder to the ground. He cried out from the pain. I leaped up, and before Danlis could reach me, I tore Bowder's rifle from his hands, and swung it. The butt of the weapon caught Danlis across the face, staggering him.

I tossed aside the broken weapon, and moved in on Danlis. The corporal tried to fight back, but I took hold of his rifle by the barrel. Danlis fired, but there was no loud bark, no burst of energy. He pulled the trigger once more, but again, the rifle did not fire. I grinned, as I felt the rifle's inner workings hum to my will. I cocked my head to the side, watching Danlis' reaction as his weapon began to spark and sputter. He dropped it.

I turned from him, back to the Dark Lord, but before I could take a step, I felt Danlis' hand on my shoulder. I spun about, grabbing his hand as I did. He swung at me, but I stepped back in time and he lunged forward, off balance. I kicked his legs out from under him, and as he fell to the floor, I drove my fist into the back of his head. When he struck the floor, he did not move.

I heard the bark, and out of the corner of my eye, the burst of energy struck me in the chest. I did not even stagger. I could feel the fire coursing through me, the tendrils of energy licking at my skin like hungry lines of lightning. A second shot burned a hole in my shirt, but again, I did not budge. I looked up, and there was Aragas, rifle in hand. He fired a third time, this time striking me in the shoulder. I did not even flinch, instead striding toward him. He backed up, unsure of how it was his rifle was not working. A fourth shot went wide.