Chapter 7: R.I.P

The carriage drove by the busy streets filled with bustling London life. Duke Vincent Ravenking and his head butler Faulkner sat inside as a thick curtain of stifling silence hung persistently in the air. Faulkner observed his master across his seat. They had just seized an extremely profitable and safe deal but the Duke did not seem to show any signs of wanting to celebrate it. He did not notice any trace of sadness or longing. Instead, Duke Ravenking seemed to be more lost in thought like a child who couldn't solve a puzzle. He knew Duke Ravenking does not like things he can't solve. The question is, 'What is that puzzle?'
_________________________
"I'm sorry, my ears must be tricking me. Now I'm hearing someone; who caused major scandals as my cousin; wanting to just walkaway scot-free. Ridiculous, isn't it?." Ravenking sarcastically replied to the lady's request.

Bianca fought the urge to strangle that arrogant man. This was not the time to exchange sarcasm.

"I know this is unfortunate for both of us. Like what I had said just now, I promise I will complete your deal with Lady Mohem but once Lord Leonard's party is over I will quietly leave this household."

"And why exactly do you want to leave? Have you regained your memory yet?" Ravenking inquired.

"No. I don't remember a trace of my own origins...," Bianca replied, which was followed by a stifled, tense sigh, "I think that leaving matters to the police is the best option."

Ravenking raised his eyebrows. "Something happened last evening, didn't it?"  He peered straight into Bianca's eyes.

Bianca sighed again. "Yes. And it is very serious and complicated... Duke Ravenking, you did not hire me for a romantic quest. 'Bianca' was just someone to maintain your reputation that Maria almost ruined."

"True," Ravenking admitted, his face was cold and expressionless like always. "I do have to salute you for knowing this much."

"Well, 'thank you very much'," Bianca gave a sarcastic acknowledgement of the Duke's 'praise',
"I'm not really needed here anymore so I hope the Duke himself will wisely choose to let me leave."

The two of them stood still in the study room. Neither of them bothered to utter a word for a minute or two before the Duke eventually broke the silence.
"Another good nanny gone... Fine. You are free to go, but only if you promise to complete my end of the deal with that elderly Mohem. I don't care if you go to France, Denmark or even the bloody Amazon afterwards."

"Thank you, sir." Bianca gave a slight bow before making her exit, "By the way, I'm only a 'good nanny' because I cost the least. Isn't that right?"

"The door's over there," Ravenking went back to his desk work and ignored the spot on deduction from his employee. She should have known that, after giving so much trouble to him. But something kept bugging him. He didn't know what it was and that was bad enough for his ego. This whole Bianca situation was indeed bizarre.
______________________

"The corset's a little tight..." Bianca placed her hand on her stomach, trying to get herself adjusted to the object that was binding her mercilessly.
"But it is necessary my lady. We've already got rid of some of the tighter knots." The maid replied as she worked on styling Bianca's hair.

'Knock, knock, knock'

"Come in Mr. Faulkner." Bianca replied to the knocking on the door.

Faulkner came in, his face trying to conceal a perplexed look.

"No one in this house would knock the door as... discreetly and self-consciously as you sir. So I gave a guess or two," Bianca explained.

"I see. It did shock me a bit since we hardly had any full conversations, ma'am," Faulkner gave a bow.