Twenty Seven

"You look..." Ryder can't even speak the words, just a breath he never knew he was holding finally escaping him.

Wren stands at the far end of the grand room, the slightest of smiles overtaking him as his head tilts back against the incoming light of the windows that grace the back wall of the bedroom. They stretch the length of the entire wall, great arches forming at the top as the light refracts off the overhead crystals that hang from the ceiling in place of a light. The contrast to Haven is evident enough, yet the similarities still exist in the too clean air and stifling brightness of the room.

Yet this is somehow more pure, a natural feel to the way the light bounces off of each misshapen quartz. How it crawls across the dark wood floor and snakes its way along the plethora of blankets swirled into the middle of the room as a makeshift nest. The entire room smells of earth like the rest of this realm, the never ending aroma of life bombarding Ryder at every turn as if to remind him somehow that this isn't Haven and will never be Haven. It's a sanctum in its own right.

"Like something out of a dream?" Wren smiles, breaking Ryder out of his hazy contemplations. It's a soft, genuine smile. One that Ryder has never seen cross Wren's lips, a chime in his voice as he walks off the carved stone platform that reaches towards the windowsill. His gossamer robe trails after him as he jumps the second to last stair, body bouncing on the ball of his foot as he strikes a smile, a true, teeth showing smile. With both hands on Ryder's forearm he gives a light squeeze, his skin so cold compared to a few days before.

Ryder only smiles at his remark, eyes scanning his face and just... taking it all in. Though he's so cold there's a warmth that radiates from his smile, thick lips playfully pursing as he rocks on his heels with Ryder's arm for support. He pauses for a moment to play at the ends of his robe, somehow unbothered with the sheer fabric that reveals so much. Ryder can't help his gaze, eyes finding themselves tracing Wren's arm through the light pink material. The small holes in his flesh are visible until a small hand comes to cover them, a light blush falling across his cheeks as he rubs at the arm absentmindedly.

"I haven't decided what to say about that yet..." His words trail to nothingness, a quietness overcoming him at the idea of Haven, the memories coming back in painful flashes with each rub of the arm. It's as if pressing hard enough or clawing at the skin fast enough will erase the scars. Erase the memory of that place, the stench of it burning to the ground, the stench of his blood and body melting into the earth -

"Wren?" Ryder's hand falls upon the fae's shoulder. A lost expression digs into the corners of Wren's eyes as his brows furrow at nothing, just some distant thought he can't quite focus on. "Wren, hey come back to me, okay? Come back." Ryder coos, drawing Wren's small body into his own.

Wren's robes are too soft against the boy's skin, the material foreign compared to the cotton Haven sweatshirts Ryder's grown accustomed to holding close. "We can just tell them we found you like that or that you woke up and just had those marks on your arm just say you don't know."

"I think my psychic court is going to know if I'm lying, Ryder." Wren grins sympathetically though the smile hastily fades, body drawing back from Ryder's grip so he can attempt to look him in the eye. "That's their entire job, make sure the king isn't lying. Except," He smiles, hands wrapping around Ryder's waist before pulling back for a final time. Each svelte finger pulls at his robe once more as he adjusts the smallest details.

"The High Priest, who's entire job is to be there for me, to protect me and advocate for me. The High Priest is a big title, Ryder. There's an entire ceremony that has to be completed and the courts won't be happy that you're human. Thankfully with your kin having a name like December," There's a hidden malice in the name, brows furrowing the slightest at the thought. "You can pass as having fae blood in you. Now," He coughs, tugging at his sleeve one last time before giving an animated nod in Ryder's direction, a playful smile crossing his lips. "Any questions or are you ready for your grand debut?"