13 Avoiding Him

“So can you still dance with your wrist wrapped up and everything?” Brian wonders as we’re sitting down for breakfast on Sunday morning. I’m not sure why we’re having breakfast together, just me and him, but we’re close friends so it’s not like I’m complaining. It’s just weird though, since I usually eat breakfast with Mason and Sienna.

“Yeah, it feels spectacular,” I assure him. “I worked out on it yesterday with like pushups and stuff like that and it felt fine. The nurse said that it wasn’t anything big, she just wrapped it to help with the pain.”

“What’d you do again?” He asks. “To hurt your wrist, I mean.”

I shrug. “Lost my temper for a little while, with good cause, and it just got bad. I’m fine though, it’s no biggie. Where’s your girlfriend? Or Sienna?”

“They’re talking to Andrew,” He supplies. “Don’t ask me why or what they’re talking to him about because I don’t know, that’s just what Mason told me.”

I roll my eyes at him. “They’re probably trying to yell at him because he’s such a stupid person.”

“Did something else happen?” He asks me cluelessly. “In the past few days, I mean. I didn’t really talk to him at all yesterday.”

“Yeah, I don’t want to even think about it though, so let’s just talk about something that’s not Andrew related, okay?”

“Sure,” He agrees. “How was your Thanksgiving break?”

“Just as insane as I thought it would be. My family is full of weirdoes and pretentious snobs who don’t approve of me going to Julliard, so that was fun. And then the twins, who were probably plotting a way to steal a piece of my hair or cut off my tongue or something in the name of science.”

“Wait, what?” He laughs. “Your tongue?”

I nod and then try to explain everything about the twins, laughing as I go. Sure, they’re super annoying when I actually have to deal with them but when I reflect back on the situation, I can definitely find hilarity in their personalities. I tell him all of the weird and creepy things that the twins had asked me and Anthony- like how they asked if I felt an attraction for Gianna and how they wondered if Andrew could sense my menstruation.

“Wait,” Brian says with a long laugh. “So they actually made you go to the bathroom together?”

“Yes!” I laugh. “It was so weird. And they tried to get us to like, do experiments or something, but we got the hell out of dodge before that happened.”

“I want to meet these people,” He tells me, finally sobering up from laughing at all of the weird things the twins had done over break.

“No, you really don’t. It’s exhausting and extremely creepy,” I warn him. “They’re a nightmare to be around. They wanted us to fly back to Tennessee for extra experiments next weekend but I’d rather cut my own face off than have those two creeps do experiments on me and my DNA.”

“Well, your break was a lot more eventful than mine, it seems, because all I did was go to dinner with my family and then I just hung out with Mason the rest of the time, which was nice,” Brian tells me with a shrug.

After that, we decide that it’s about time to go to class, so we stand up from our table in the food court and throw away our trash in the closest bin thing and then we leave the food court, going towards the academic building. I don’t really know where his first period class is, but we’ll walk as far as we can together and then just split ways.

“I wish that thanksgiving break was longer though,” I say as we’re walking towards the building with a lot of other people who are starting classes right now. “I’m not ready to go back to school and everything.”