Chapter 13

On Friday afternoon, Taylor practically skipped into Aunt May's hug. "My goodness, look at you! I'm glad to see you've got that spring back in your step, honey. Something good happen?"

"I'm gonna work on a project by the creek," Taylor said. "Can I borrow your wagon? My supplies are a bit heavy."

"Sure thing. Oh, and would you mind taking the cooler by the bayou so Lydia can feed Gus?" Worry creased the wrinkles around her eyes. "She's been down there all day and hasn't had a chance to come get it."

"No problem." Taylor's smile faded as she realized why her cousin had spent so much time there that day.

"How is she holding up?" Taylor's mom asked. "This time of year must be hard for her."

"Well, she's been mighty quiet the last couple days, but I think she'll be alright. Just needs some time to let her feelings out is all."

"What about you?" her dad asked as Pitch rubbed against Aunt May's legs and nuzzled her rabbits without so much as a hint of his usual hunting instinct. "We're here for you if you need anything."

"Thanks, Malcolm." Her smile didn't quite reach her tired, red-rimmed eyes. "Now that you mention it, I sure could use a hug."

Everyone came together in a warm group hug. Taylor reminded herself to give Lydia a great big hug too once she found her.

###

Like last time, the creek was teeming with kids and companions running around and having fun. One group lined the water and cupped their hands under the surface in an attempt to catch the fish that darted past. Another took turns on a tire swing. A girl cheered and laughed as her horse pushed the swing with its head.

"Hey, Tay!" Anna called out from under a massive oak tree as Taylor hauled a wagon loaded with art supplies, applesauce, and her aunt's cooler through the mud. Mason sat next to her with his back resting against the trunk, eyes closed as he enjoyed the shade. "You ready to get started?"

"Almost. I need to take some stuff over to Lydia real quick. Wanna come?"

They followed Taylor downstream. The creek soon flowed into a murky green bayou lined by cattails. Bullfrogs croaked as they hopped over turtles resting on driftwood. Taylor felt a pang in her chest as she remembered the last time she'd come to the bayou. Being there without Eliza felt as strange as going fishing without any bait.

Mason pulled his termites into a cloak around himself as mosquitos buzzed past him. "Careful guys. They seem hungry."

The girls followed his lead and gathered their insects around them as well. "I hope we find Lydia soon," Anna said as she pinched her nose. "This place reeks."

"Don't worry, she shouldn't be far. Gus's favorite spot is right over there."

Sure enough, Lydia sat hunched over with her feet in the water near a ragged rope swing. A blotchy mountain range of mosquito bites rose from her arms and face. It was only when Taylor got closer that she noticed the mosquito bites weren't the only things making her face red.

"Hey Lydia," Anna said. She glanced at the water nervously as a muscular, scaly tail sent ripples radiating out to Lydia's legs. "We've missed you by the creek."

"Haven't felt like going lately." Her snakes lay draped down her arms, so limp they would have looked dead if it weren't for their forked tongues occasionally flicking out.