Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

   Sang tilted her head in confusion as Gabe... Gabe-Gabe. Gabe, from Annette's house, Gabe, embraced North like a long-lost brother.

   "Wow! I wasn't sure it was really you when-Sang?"

   Sang bit her cheek. "Gabe."

   "How do you know North?" he asked, bewildered.

   "We ride together, or used to until I moved in with Annette." He looked to North. "I didn't realize you had found your way over to Charleston."

   "Small world. Luke and I came into town this past summer, but we've been moving around a lot."

   "The Academy accepted you after my shit show, didn't they?"

   "Something like that." North rubbed his arm.

   What was the Academy? Sang wondered. Does North go to another school aside from Ashely Waters? Do some people call Ashely Waters the Academy?

   "Sang's with you guys then? Team Blackbourne, wasn't it?"

   "No. Sang's new to Charleston. She just moved here last week with her parents and sister."

   Gabe didn't miss a beat. "Is that so? Welcome to town then. I saw a new family move in near mine. You're on South End, aren't you?"

   "I-"

   "House 2552, yeah? With the red shutters?"

   Sang begrudgingly nodded.

   "Sweet, well I was just leaving. Allow me to walk you home. Oh, and North, let me give you my number. I don't want to lose touch with you again. If you still have your bike we can probably get a ride in before the end of the season."

   "Of course. Here's my new number. I don't have my phone on me right now, so just shoot me a text and I'll get back to you when I get home." North programed his number in Gabe's phone. "Alright, well, be safe Sang. I'll talk to you guys later."

   "O-Okay, North." Sang forced a smile. What the hell was Gabe playing at? She waved goodbye as North walked back towards the food court.

   Then Sang turned on Gabe.

   His smile was light as he tugged on one of his piercings. "Moved here with your parents and sister, huh?"

   "Shut up." Sang pushed past him, breaking out of the mall and hurrying down the sidewalk. Gabe was right on her tail.

   "Shut up? How can you ask me to shut up? You're lying to all your new friends. You really have no idea who they are, do you? They're totally going to figure you out."

   Sang walked faster, but Gabe caught her wrist, bringing her to a halt. She looked up at him with angry eyes.

   "What?"

   "Those guys are good people. Why are you trying to hide yourself?"

   Sang's green eyes were a shock as she glared. "Why do you think? I just got moved to a halfway house with a bunch of strangers and a house mother who keeps trying to connect with me after my not-mother killed herself and my father abandoned me. I'm stuck here with Marie who's basically hated me up until the last week and has asked me to keep all of our past a secret. So I'm keeping it a secret, now would you leave me the hell alone?"

   "Hm." Gabe lit a cigarette. "No." He took a drag. "No, I won't be leaving you alone. Plus, I have questions. Like, for instance, what's a not-mother?"