[02] DINNER AND A SHOW

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

【 𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔 】

ii. the fortune cookies

VERITY HADN'T FELT THIS MUCH CONTENTMENT in years. As the evening wore on, she felt like the past two decades had melted away, leaving her and her friends as bright-eyed teens again. It was as though they had never left Derry, as though they had never been separated.

She took a sip of her drink, basking in the sheer euphoria she felt. Only yesterday she had been sitting alone in her empty apartment, with a pile of work to do, and now here she was, sitting in between Beverly and Richie, feeling blissfully happy.

It was funny how each of her friends had kept certain traits over the years; little quirks that Verity had once been so used to. How Bev threw her head back whenever she laughed; how Mike still smiled crookedly; and how Eddie talked a mile-a-minute, hardly pausing for breath.

"I'm just... so happy to be here right now," She spoke up, closing her eyes happily. "With all of you again. I didn't even realise how much I'd missed all of you."

The others smiled at her warmly, knowing exactly how she felt.

"I'll drink to that," Ben grinned, raising his glass as the other Losers did too.

"Wait, let's talk about the elephant not in the room.." Richie said, eyeing them over the rim of his glass. "Ben.. what the fuck, man?"

"Okay okay, obviously, I lost a few pounds," Ben confessed, smiling bashfully.

"Lost a few?" Eddie scoffed.

"No shit dude, like, you're hot," Richie continued. "You're like, every Brazilian soccer player wrapped up into one person."

"I, for one, second that statement." Verity said, smirking. "Seriously Ben, you're a total babe-magnet now."

Ben shook his head, blushing.

"You're gorgeous!" Richie exclaimed.

"Leave him alone you guys, you're embarrassing him," Bev said.

Ben put his glass down. "Okay okay, alright please c'mon, so is Stanley coming or what?"

They went quiet at his words, each person looking at Mike hesitantly.

"Stan..." Eddie murmured.

"Stan.. Stan Uris, Stan Urine," Richie tested the words, rolling them about in his mouth. "Stanley Urine, no, no, he's a fuckin' pussy! There's no way he's gonna show,"