Cetzu Part 1 (Reptilian Changeling/Female Human)

When you decided to venture out on your own, you knew there would be hurdles and dangers, but you had no idea how bad it could be for a lone woman on the road

Your father was a carpenter, specializing in sturdy, well-built pieces of furniture, like tables, chairs, chests, cabinets, and the like, and when you became old enough, you asked if you could help. You weren't much of a carver yourself, as you were rather clumsy, but you could handle horses and drive a cart and covered wagon, so you offered to make his deliveries for him and set up a stall in various towns so that he wouldn't be distracted from his work. After all, some of the pieces could take a week or more to make, and if he was gone to deliver his wares, he had less time to make them.

He was nervous about letting his only child go out into the world alone, but you told him that you could take care of yourself. It took some convincing on your part. You were tall and well built, but you'd always been a little on the shy side and not what people would call a fighter. Although you were quick to warm up to people once you got to know them a bit, actually approaching them had never been your strong suit. You were also awkward and clumsy and prone to accidents. It was a hard sell, but he eventually agreed.

It hadn't gone as well as you'd hoped. The first time you went out, the entire wagon had been stolen while you'd gone in the woods to pee. The second time, you'd sold the merchandise like you were supposed to, but as you camped, bandits attacked and stole all your money at knife-point. On your way home, you'd heard tales from others about women who'd been taken in addition to the money and goods, sometimes never to be seen again and the ones that had been found wished they were dead. It scared you a little more than you liked to admit and it was at this point you decided you needed to hire help.

You stopped in Willowridge for the evening, which was larger and more busy since the last time you and your father had come through.

At the tavern, you paid for a room and care for your wagon and asked the barkeeper where you could find someone big and beefy to scare off potential bandits.

With a sly grin, she said, "There was a farm in the woods where you might find such help."

"On a farm?" You asked, uncertain.

"Oh, yes," She said, cleaning out a mug. "Believe it or not, our highly lauded town's sheriff, Feera, came from there. These are very helpful folk. Ask for Declan. He'll take good care of you."

"How do I find it? Is it hidden?"

"A bit, but look for the nectar flowers planted by the roadside. They'll lead you to the farm."

After a night at the inn, you hitched up your horse, got up on your wagon, and headed where the barkeep had told you to go. She said by wagon at a decent trot, it would take only an hour by road. Dubious but curious at the same time, you nudged your horse to the left, down the road toward the farmhouse and out of the town.