Chapter 11 - New family member

A month later

"That old witch called Helena thinks she can control me. Ugh! I hate her!" Layla growled, ploping on the sofa. She was talking about her dare I say it evil step mom. "She wants me to stop seeing Korey. How did she find out? I dunno" she crossed her arm like a child.

"What did she say?" Riley asked.

"She said and I quote 'It would be an embarrassment if people were to find out you're screwing a black guy who works at a Spa. Think about your father's reputation at least'. she's such a hypocrite, a racist and to top it all she's the devil's incarnate. The worst part is that my dad is siding her. I wonder what spell she's using to control him!"

Yeah, I forgot. Layla and Korey have been seeing each other for quite some time now. I would say its her longest relationship for the record and I'm happy for her.

"The only thing that matters is that we're in love and happy right?"

"They'll learn to accept him, just give them sometime" I assured.

"I don't care if that British witch accepts him or not. All I care about is my dad's approval!" She practically yelled at me, causing me to flinch a little.

After a pause, she sighed. "I...I'm sorry for yelling, it's just...I'm so--"

"I understand. I promise you everything will be fine"

"I hope so.." she trailed off.

"So about this Korey guy...tell me you're serious about him?" Everly asked.

"I Seriously am! I...I think I'm beginning to fall in love" she mumbled shyly.

Layla? Shy?
Impossible

"Hmmmm...is that so?" Riley gave her a look, causing us all to giggle.

"Stop that. I really like him" she blushed.

"So is it official yet?" Nora asked.

A smile formed slowly on Layla’s face. "Yes. He asked me out last week" she squealed

"What?! And you didn't tell us? You didn't tell me?" Riley scowled.

"Sorry, just that my past relationships or should I say flings never worked out. So I decided to keep this one on the low and see how far it'll go"

I nodded, agreeing with her. After talking about Layla's new achievement, all eyes shifted to Everly.
She noticed and raised her brows "what?.....why the sudden stares"

"When are.." I started.
"You getting..." Riley continued.
"Yourself" Nora added.
"A boyfriend" Layla chirped.

Everly looked totally stunned. "You guys are crazy" she chuckled, now paying attention to the News showing on TV, like its the most interesting thing in the world.
Like she ever watched News. I rolled my eyes.

"Eve we all know you aren't interested in that lame news" Riley got up and switched off the TV

"What was that for? I was...I was watching..." She whined.

"Yeah, you were trying to avoid our question" I crossed my arms.

"What question?" She feigned innocence.
I rolled my eyes again

"When will you get a boyfriend?" I repeated.

She sighed and I knew it was a sigh of defeat. "I don't know...y'all know I've got my heart broken before and I promised I won't never let it happen again"
The whole house went silent.
I remember when she told us abous her first relationship. She was 16, when she fell in love with a guy, back then in high school. She loved him so much. We weren't as close as we are now at that time. The day she finally gave up on love was the day she found Trey, her ex boyfriend, having fun with another girl, on her  birthday party, in her own house and on her own bed! That's so heartbreaking and disgusting.