Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“You’re going to choose someone exactly like Cooper,” Jackson complained as she placed her hands on her hips.

            “Not true!” Sawyer said, then added, “Besides, there’s no one like Cooper. He’s one of a kind.”

            “Oh, barf,” Harley said, rolling her eyes at the cheesiness.

            “Well I already have someone in mind for her,” Jackson said.

            “Hey, so do I!” Sawyer exclaimed.

            “Ditto,” Harley said.

            Uh-oh. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. Time to reign them all in.

            “Clearly you guys have been thinking way too much about my love life,” I said sarcastically.

            “Or lack thereof,” Jackson muttered.

            I ignored her comment and got up from Sawyer’s bed to stand in front of them.

            “How about each of you present your choices to me and I’ll go out with the guy. Then we’ll see who I connect with most,” I suggested. I hadn’t particularly wanted to go out on one date let alone three, but I needed to get them to stop fighting.

            After a few seconds of silence, they all agreed and we were back on track.

            “Who’s first?” Harley asked.

            “Mmmm,” I said, thinking. “Quads lineup.”

            “Ugh,” Harley said, frowning as I announced we’d be going oldest to youngest.

            “Not fair,” Jackson whined. “Sawyer always gets to do everything first.”

            “You snooze, you lose,” Sawyer responded, obviously happy with my choice.

            “So, Sawyer, you’ll tell me your choice as soon as you find the guy and then set up the date,” I said, practically choking on the last word. “Then we’ll go on down the line.”

            “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you seemed excited about this,” Sawyer said, narrowing her eyes curiously.

            “Trust me,” I said. “I’m not.”

            But I was happy to have my sisters back.

*          *          *          *

“Tonight’s the night!” Sawyer announced as the four of us climbed into the Prius.

            It was the next morning and we were running late to school, so Harley was at the wheel, since she handled the car the best when we were in a hurry. She insisted it was the racing school lessons she’d begun as soon as we had our licenses that made her a better driver than the rest of us. But I thought she would’ve been a faster driver even if she hadn’t taken classes. She liked the adrenaline rush too much.

            “You already found someone?” I asked, surprised by the news.

            I’d figured I had a few days at least, to psych myself up for the first round of dates, so this threw me off. I should have expected it though, considering it was Sawyer we were talking about. Between her love advice column and vast experience in couple-dom, I’m sure she’d thought about this more than a few times.