Chapters 2 & 3

Chapter 2

“I have to stop and say goodbye to Rudy.” The Rover lurched forward, bucked, and then came to a neck-snapping halt in front of the butcher shop.

“Not that I won’t be happy to get out of this deathtrap, but do you think that’s wise—being that he’s one more person who will try to talk you out of going?” Will mumbled as he jumped out of the passenger side.

“You just got back in thirty seconds ago.” I gave him a dirty look. “And Rudy can try all he wants to change my mind. It’s not happening.”

My attention was drawn to the thick-muscled man who came out to greet us. Rudy Sinclair was the town’s butcher and the best friend Sam and I could have. Since the day I healed his wife from cancer, he’d been trying to make it up to me. With all he’d done for us, he had more than paid his debt, but in the process, he’d become like family. I adored his five-year-old son, Colin, and was the only babysitter he and Cora trusted. He would never suspect that Sam was in the dark about my plans. Massive chocolate-brown arms folded across his broad chest and he shook his head at me, teasing.

“You’re in town five minutes and already startin’ trouble.”

 I turned to see Josh eyeing us through the window as he spun his truck’s tires. Gravel dust followed in a trail behind his vehicle, one of the few on the main street aside from the Rover and a large delivery truck parked in front of Cheng’s Chinese restaurant. Most people traveled into town on horse, bike, or foot, biodiesel being a scarcity in our region. The nearest filling station was three towns away, and the cost made it accessible only to the wealthiest of citizens. I shrugged as Josh pulled around the corner and disappeared.

“I’m not the one causing trouble,” I said.

“That would be a first,” Rudy’s face split into a wide, white-toothed grin. “Come on in. I’ve got something for you.”

Will and I followed him into the shop, the stench of animal flesh pungent in the air. Rudy handed me a package from behind the counter.

 “What’s this?” I took the package tentatively. Tied with twine and heavy as a brick, it clunked as I set it back down on the countertop.

Rudy peeked out the front door before answering. “If you are hell bent on taking this fool’s trip, you can’t go unarmed.” He held up a hand before I could argue. “I know how you feel about guns, but you don’t want to be going cross-country without some way to defend yourself. The streets ain’t safe—especially if you’re planning on taking the Turnpike. I hear there are thieves up and down the main roads from here to the Rockies. And don’t get me started on what I think of you going anywhere near Albany again.”

“That’s why we’re taking the back roads.” Our recent trip to Albany had culminated in Will being beaten nearly to death and me being captured by the Industry. We’d barely escaped with our lives. “I have no intention of going through Albany or traveling on the Pike. We’re heading south so we can get onto I-80 outside of New York City.”

“Is that the route Sam told you to take?”

“He says it’s the safest way to reach the Western Desert.”

“You best stay away from the cities. I’m sure Sam told you about New York.”

“I’m not planning on seeing it firsthand,” I said.  New York City had been lost to the viral plague, the riots, and the collapse of government and economic stability. What hadn’t been burned, blown up, or decayed from lack of care, was now an overgrown jungle, and home to some of the most ruthless gangs and drug cartels in the States.