Chapter Five

Making the journey to Jacob’s house twice in the expansion of a week was not a positive thing, nor was it something that I took any enjoyment in doing. It had been less than one day and yet I was having to go out of my way in order to reaffirm a rule that should have been followed instantly.

I wasn’t used to having to repeat myself.

Hitting the door sharply with the back of my knuckles I rolled my eyes at the “now coming!” from Jacobs mother, arranging my features into a blank expression as to give nothing away. I wasn’t in the mood to get into an argument, but what his father did was not something that I accepted nor would let go without resolving the matter. 

I saw the exact moment when the door opened that his mother’s eyes widened, “C-Chase…”

“I need to speak to your husband and son, now.”

Her face paled. “Is this about-“

“Are they home or are they out?” I could scent Jacob inside the house, it wasn’t as if I wouldn’t know if she attempted to lie to me and make the already bad situation worse.

I saw her think about it. “He’s inside,” she sighed, running a hand through her hair. “Do I need to call Mike?”

“Yes.”

Hearing her swallow loudly I followed her into the house while she went in search of Jacob, the fact I was having to do this twice in the space of a few days only serving to annoy me the more I thought about it. I shouldn’t have to deal with one wolf as much as I was; none of my guard had stirred as much trouble.

I decided against taking a seat.

“I told him not to call!” I looked to my right, hands stuffed in my pockets as Jacobs panicked form flashed around the counter as he rushed into the room. I didn’t need this right now. “I would have come and apologised and explained but you told me to stay away and I didn’t want to make things worse.”

I stared at him, admittedly slightly impressed. “Good.”

Jacob stared at me, shocked. “Good what? Good that my father called or good that I didn’t come and tell you.”

I snorted, shoulders relaxing. “Sticking to my orders despite the situation.”

Jacob nodded solemnly. “Mum tried to tell him not to, that it would only make things worse and I should just sit it out, but he was worried and-“

He was telling the truth. Admittedly it was a relief that he hadn’t gone behind my back because not only was he already on thin ice but going to my alpha, my superior just because he wasn’t happy with an order would not be something I could simply turn a blind eye to.

“When will your father be home?” I had other things I wanted to get done which didn’t involve having to go to one of my guards houses to speak to their parents. They were not children. As far as I was concerned they were young adults who needed to take more control over their lives.

No wonder Michael was sick of talking to them on the phone.

“If mums calling him he should be back in like ten minutes I think. His contracts only a few blocks down the road; he’s putting in a conservatory.”

Nodding I waited.

It turned out to be fifteen minutes later that Mike walked through the door in his work clothes, the scent of building materials wafting through my nose. My nostrils flared as I inhaled the scent.

“Chase,” he nodded respectively.

I couldn’t help but think it was a little too late for that. “I am under the knowledge that you put in a phone call to my alpha,” I quirked a brow.