Chapter 15

Claire

Beth and I wandered around the market place looking at fresh fruits, pastries, and little trinkets. I heard Beth giggle beside me, "what's so funny?" I asked.

She pointed to my clothes, "I never thought I'd see Claire Edwards wearing my clothes."

I looked down at the borrowed outfit and crossed my arms, "I didn't pack for a camping trip, I packed for Paris."

Beth held in a laugh, "I know, I know," she pinched my cheek, "but you look so darn cute."

I waved her hand away, "don't patronize me." We walked a little more and I tried to hide the smile that found its way on my face at Beth calling me cute.

The smell of vanilla suddenly wafted to us from a nearby bakery, before I could ask Beth if we could pop in, she grabbed my hand and was already leading the way inside.

"I hope you don't mind if we stop in here, I smelled it from a mile away and I couldn't resist," she said as we got inside.

I shook my head with a smile, "great minds think alike. I was actually thinking of getting a cake for tonight when we see your family."

She grinned, "good idea." We both walked around the bakery on our own at first, when I saw a fancy tiramisu cake in the display window.

"Excuse me, sir," I pointed to the cake, "can I please have this cake."

He nodded and I waited by the counter to have the cake boxed.

Beth came up beside me, "omg Claire, you have to try this," she fed me half of a peanut butter blossom and I could've sworn I died and went to heaven when I tasted it.

Beth's smile was wide at my reaction, "amazing right?"

I swallowed the cookie, "amazing is an understatement.

"Miss, your cake," the man behind the counter held up a box as I walked over to the register to pay.

"Thank you," I said as I picked up the box. Beth and I were about to leave when the salesperson handed her a small paper bag. She looked at the bag, "I'm sorry but I don't think we ordered this."

His face turned red, "I was kind of eavesdropping and I heard you really liked the peanut butter blossoms."

My heart warmed at his confession, Beth shook her head, "not that we don't appreciate it, but I insist on paying for it." She took her cash out of her wallet but he shook his head, "your money is no good here Miss James."

He looked down bashfully, "you two being out as a couple is challenging the status quo and doing everything for our community."

It dawned on me that he was part of the LGBT community and he was looking up to us so much that I felt ashamed that it was all a lie.

"Well if you're not going to take our money, at least let us give the bakery a shout out," Beth conceded as she took out her phone.

We both moved towards him and posed for a picture.

"It's alright if I post this on Instagram right?" Beth asked. The guy whose name we learned was Sam nodded brightly. We chatted for a couple more minutes before we left the bakery, not wanting to distract Sam from the rest of the customers.

"That was really nice of him," Beth said as she took a blossom from the bag and gave it to me.

I accepted it happily and nodded, "yeah but I feel like a horrible person for lying to him."

Beth pursed her lips, "at this point, the best we could do is pull this off to the very end."

I nodded slowly, "I just don't want to disappoint people, you know.'