3. Destruction

3. Destruction

My day had begun perfectly fine. I was up on time, no fighting during breakfast with my brothers and I was on time for the bus. When English began I didn't sneak inside because I was already on my seat talking with Shirley. Our first lesson in chemistry was good. Our teacher, Mr Coulton, didn't give us homework. He thinks it's a waste of time when our brains are still on summer-mode during the first week. Instead we talked about the basic stuff in chemistry and different formulas. I must say it was probably one of the best lessons I've ever had. No one got in trouble, none talked back against the teacher about some unfair assignment. So why did I suddenly rush to make it in time for PE?

After the chemistry I met up with Shirley by our lockers before we went separate ways. She to photography and I to gym. I have a vague memory of me begging Shirley to hide me, even though I'm perfectly capable of doing it by myself.

“I won't survive!” I didn't let go of Shirley's hand. “George will lick me dead and then bury my body by the pond.”

“Don't be ridiculous, Kate,” She raised her eyebrows at me and slowly loosened my grip. “It's one hour, which I'm sure you can handle.”

“He's so disgusting.” I let out and my body shivered by the thought of when George Jones licked his lips. It was a habit of his everytime he had the girls PE. He would raise his chest, eying us like meat and then order us do high knees. I'm sure he likes the view of forty pair of boobs moving up and down.

Shirley grabbed my sports bag from my locker and handed it to me.

“Go or you'll be late.”

She turned around and run away to her own lesson. I took a glimpse at the sports bag and the at the time. Fifteen minutes until I needed to be changed. What can I possibly do to kill at least ten of them? I walked by the trophy shelf and studied it. There was every trophy this school had won over the years in every sport we competed in. From the looks of it most of them were football-related. We have a track team, but I guess no one is really interesting in something that doesn't involve punching someone. The halls were empty and I started to whistle. I could do this for ten minutes. I took a look at the watch again. Five minutes left now. At the end of the hall I saw Tyra, from the Gleeks, carrying a heavy box.

“Let me help.” I offered and rushed over to her. I took a hold of the other end and began to walk backwards.

“Thanks,” Tyra smiled at me over the box's edge. She lead me towards the stock room.

“I was told to put back the movie equipment.” She explained as we put the box down. “It's from the photography class because they had too many cameras.”

“You have photography too?” I was surprised.

“Yeah.” She smiled back at me and unlocked the door. “We're going to develop the film after we take some shot today.”

Why did I get stuck with PE? This sounds much more fun.

“Sounds fun. I got stuck with gym.” I sighed and we stepped outside into the empty hall.

“Who's your teacher?”

“George Jones.”

“Really?” Tyra glanced at the watch. “Then you better hurry. From what I remember he doesn't like people being late.”

The five minutes were long since due and now it was five minutes past.

“Shit!” I cried out and ran for the doors. Stupid, stupid Kate. You just had to see the trophies and help Tyra out, didn't you?

It felt like an eternity until I reached the dressing rooms. I stumbled over my shoes and ten minutes later I ran as fast as I could to catch up with the class. When I reached the field they were all doing different kinds of exercises. George Jones stood by the benches and wrote on his board.