Epilogue

Back in England....

Two months later, after all of the formal inquiries and their interviews with the King, Sean and Marioselle were finally able to set sail for England.   This time however,  with the blessing and the accompaniment of her entire family. 

Sean and Jonathan had done most of the talking during the investigations.  King Louis, although a fair ruler, was not entirely pleased knowing a spy had been operating in France, however he waived all formal charges against Sean.  Honestly what else could he have done? Had he imprisoned Sean for crimes against France their would have been a public inquisition, not to mention his bride to be's grandfather owned much of France.  He couldn't afford to lose the backing of one of his main contributors.  After all, the powers that be were already attempting to unseat him an end the monarchy altogether.  Times were changing.  The people wanted democracy. They wanted a voice in how their country was ruled, their laws made.   Therefore these proceedings would have to remain discreet.  Should anyone find out that some of the most powerful men in the country had been involved in assassinations and enslavement of young women, there would be chaos in the streets.  So for all of their sakes he issued a royal pardon for Sean and Chen Li. 

Not everyone was issued a pardon, however.  The men involved in the Marquis' little organization would not go unpunished.  Although, they couldn't be formally charged, they would suffer the consequences all the same.  Louis would go on to strip each man involved of their titles and personal funds.  This would include Count Durand and Lady Sémonville.  The evil bitch would would  be destitute.  She would finally pay for her part in the Marquis' evil schemes. He banished them all to Australia. They would be exciled for life, never to step foot on French soil again.  They gave no quarrel to their expatriation by the king.  How could they?  It was either banishment or imprisonment, the latter being the preferred choice.  Not that they deserved one.  Their families gave them no other options as well.  They wouldn't allow the men to dishonor their family names and bring about their ruination. so they disowned them.  However, If he were being honest, it wasn't enough for what they did.  He would rather had seen them hanged, this unfortunately would have to suffice.  It was their only recourse.

He looked over at the beautiful Asian girl once more.  She was an enigma for certain, although he could well understand why.  The poor girl had been through so much, yet as he watched her she seemed as normal as any young women he had ever met. She was smiling and dancing as if she was your average debutante at her come out ball.   She was a strong young woman.  He admired that about her. 

He smiled in genuine happiness for her.  She had finally been reunited with her father and sister, where they were now embarking on a new Chapter in their lives.  England would be their new home.  They would be just fine he thought, happily.  Sean, Marioselle,  Jonathon, and Shannon would see to it, as would his adoptive parents, the Duke and lady Arabella.  They would all be there to help as well, including himself.  They were definitely in good hands. 

"What is so amusing, Jemmy?" Asked his little sister Evangeline.  He should have been startled from his sister sneaking up on him, however he was used to it.  As a small tot she always followed him and his friends around, invading their domain. 

"Nothing in particular.  I was just enjoying the festivities.  What are you doing up so late? Shouldn't mother have sent you upstairs by now?"

"No, mama said I could stay until the bride and groom departed.  As you can see they are still here," she replied with a bit of a sarcastic attitude.   Little sister's, he thought as he rolled his eyes. 

"Oh! Look, Jemmy!  Marioselle is going to toss her bouquet now.  I'm going to catch it!" She yelled back, as she skipped off towards the crowd of women.  He couldn't help laughing out loud at his sister's antics.  She was a percousios little girl, always into something, but he adored her.

He watched as the bride threw her bouquet high into the air. Women were scrambling and laughing as they all converged upon each other in hope's of catching the prize.  Then a familiar face popped up out of the fold waving her trophy aloft.  Her beauty captured his attention once again.  Her cheeks  flushed from excitement as everyone remarked upon her good fortune.  She looked up just then.  Her eyes locked onto his searing straight into his soul.  He knew then and there, that his life was about to change forever.