Chapter 1 -- Amble Onwards

Piano notes sweep the room, soft and honeyed, sounding vaguely classical. Everything sways to the gentle tempo, the chandeliers turned and the curtains swayed to the light-footed amble of a tune, staying soft and forgettable.

It wasn’t music.

Thin, delicate fingers dance in harmony with the piano, notes brightening the airy room in tides. The pale, lacy curtains flew up as the song sped, and the chandeliers wheeled around, bright gems glinting sharply. The melody built up speed, and the pianist’s fingers danced faster and faster, a crescendo of—

A sharp shriek of metal split the air.

The pianist’s fingers rested patiently on the white keys.

The room seemed dimmer, the chandeliers lost momentum and the curtains fluttered back.

“I’m surprised, Kageyama.” The pianist said, genuine disappointment noting in his tone.

“Don’t be, Oikawa-san. You knew this was coming.” A young man stood, swords raised, unwavering. In one stride, he could skewer the musician, but the man in question didn’t look fazed. Slightly bemused, but not a flicker of worry showed in his soulful brown eyes.

The young man scowled, his shoulders hunched. His hair was smooth to the curve of his skull, and jet black, hanging spiky as glass shards around his ears. Behind his ears, though, they stuck out a little for some reason, like a ruff. A little like a cat, the pianist observed, tilting his head. He smiled. how offended the young man would be if he said that aloud.

“I am, Prodigy-san.” The pianist turned back to his piano, fingers hanging above keys they were born to play. “A genius like yourself, attacking an enemy when he’s got his whole arsenal? I wouldn’t have pegged you as chivalrous.”

The young man’s eyes widen, and he lunges forward to strike, but too late, too late, much too late.

A chord sounds, sharp and loud.

Swords clatter to the marble floor.