Chapter One

Jihae's P.O.V

"Jihae! Get up you need to get ready for your first day of college!" my mom says excitedly.
I groan and make my way to my bathroom. I turn the shower on and prepare a towel. Once I've finished taking a shower I put on a white and black polka dot blouse and a pair of high waisted jeans. I look in the mirror observing my face.

I wasn't that pretty.

I was an average looking girl with flaws. I wasn't the type boys would look for. I was always in the library either studying or reading in my spare time. Whenever I wasn't at school, I'd be working to my best ability to provide for my mom and I.

"Jihae! Hurry up!" my mom shouted. "I'll be down in a few minutes!" I shout back. I quickly put on my black converse, put lip balm on, a tiny bit of mascara and make my way downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Wow Jihae, you look womanly" my mom joked. I roll my eyes and laugh "Yeah yeah, what time is it?" I ask. "8:30 honey, why?" my mom replied. I almost choke on bacon. "WHAT? Mom I need to be there by 9:30 and the drive is over an hour!" I panic. "It's okay, I got my best friend's son to come pick you up." my mom calmly says.

"Best friend? Son? Who? When? Where? Why?" I question. "My best friend's name is Amy, I met her while in Korea before I had you, she's also your Godmother." my mom says. "You didn't answer my other questions" I say. "Her son's name is Chen, he's coming over, he's the same age as you and starting at the same college as you. Oh and he should be here any min-" My mom was cut off by the sound of my doorbell.

"That should be him!" my mom runs to the front door to greet Chen. I follow her and stand a few metres behind her. As she opens the door I am mesmerised by his smile. "Hey Aunty Joan, is this Jihae? Wow she's so pretty" Chen compliments. I blush and turn away. "Yes that's her, you two have fun okay?" my mom says. "I'm going to get my suitcases" I say and quickly make my way to the living room where my suitcases were set. "Here let me help you with that" Chen grabs one of my suitcases and smirks at me. The last of my suitcases were put into the trunk of Chen's car and I quickly say goodbye to my mom.

Chen opens the passenger seat and gestures for me to get in. I get in and stare out the window. "So, you're Jihae huh?" Chen says. "Yeah I am, why" I ask, confused. "My mom told me that you're having a pretty hard time at home because your mom isn't allowed to work" Chen says. "Well yeah, but I'm trying my best. Anyway, I don't want to talk about this so can we change the subject?" I suggest. "Well, sure. What nationality are you?" Chen asks. "I'm American. My mom is Filipino. That's why I look Filipino" I laugh. "Yeah I could have guessed you were. I'm Korean" Chen says. "Oh wow, maybe you can teach me how to speak Korean. I've always dreamed of going to Korea." I say smiling. "Maybe I can even take you there if your mom lets." He giggled. "Oh no I pass for now, I've only known you for what? An hour?" I laughed.

I turn over to him and see a frown.

It's been a few minutes since we said our last words, and it's been awkward like hell. Chen clears his throat and announces that we are at the College. Mom told me that Chen and I are studying at the same college, which I guess is convenient since I have no friends that decided to go to the same college as me. We get signed in and Chen helps me carry my suitcases up to my dorm.

I try opening my dorm room except it was locked. At that moment I realise that I forgot to ask for the key. "Ugh this is so annoying, I'm going to get the key, stay here for a sec please." I groan. "No worries, hey can you get mine too?!" he shouts. "Yeah sure just give me a minute!" I reply.

As I am running towards the College office I bump into something, no wait someone. "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!" I say running past him. "What the hell was that?" I hear him mutter.