Chapter Twelve

Bath appeared just as we had left it. Correspondence awaited us both at the inn. As it was the middle of the day when we returned, the common room was devoid of any other travelers or guests. It was there where we both chose to take our letters.

My first letter was penned by my mother. She thanked me for my letter and hoped I was enjoying my time in Bath. My older sister, Celia, and her family had arrived at Bywood Hall for the month.

While part of me wished I was there to see my sister, I could not imagine how full and noisy it would be there. However much I loved my family, I'm certain I would have been driven out of mind.

I turned my attention to the second letter. It was an unfamiliar hand. It didn't look like Daniel Dunbar's writing or that of his lawyer. Curious about who else could have wanted to write to me, I broke the seal and unfolded the paper. The letter read:

Dear Mr. Lucas Bywood,

I have not had the great honor of meeting you in person. My name is Alfred Pennyworth. These past ten years I have been valet to Mr. Kenneth Drake, who has since passed on from this life.

I am writing to you because I have heard you a young man seeking to better himself. I am aware you have taken ownership of a small estate and are working to turn it to profit. I am also aware you are in need of a valet capable of keeping things in order.

Maintaining order and organization are my great joys in life.

As my previous employer is (obviously) no longer in need of my services, I would find it a great privilege to be employed by you.

I have been informed you dislike the idea of a personal servant, but I assure you I would be a great aid to you. There is no task too small or too large that I would not take on in your behalf. I believe you would find this of benefit as you improve your holdings.

As to references, I have enclosed a letter written by the now-departed Mr. Drake on his deathbed. Also a character reference from a friend of yours, Mr. J. Ward. I trust this will be sufficient.

I shall arrive in Bath a week from this date for a personal interview. We can discuss my duties and wages at that time.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Alfred Pennyworth

P.S. I hope you are not offended by cats. My late employer's goddaughter gifted him with a regal, black feline, and he bestowed the creature to my care at his death. Of course, the cat will remain with me and shall not interfere with any of my duties.

Yours,

AP

Astonished, I let out a laugh. It had been over a year since I'd had a valet. The previous man hadn't taken to continental travel, and I had learned to do for myself. Did I want the added expense now, when I had a ruin of an estate to manage?

This Alfred Pennyworth had the boldness to apply for a position that hadn't been offered in such a manner, though.

As his letter stated, there was an enclosed sheet of paper that was written by Mr. Kenneth Drake. The shaky writing was a bit difficult to read, but once I managed to decipher it, I read the elderly man's words of praise for Pennyworth. It seemed the valet was without equal and a paragon among his peers.

"What has you so amused?" Ward asked, his tone distracted.

When I glanced over, he was staring at his own letter. "A Mr. Alfred Pennyworth has written to request the position of valet," I said, getting straight to the point. "I wonder how he heard my name and how I have recently come into possession of an estate."